Potter’s Field

< Previous | Next >

Daniel A.

romanian
„“Where did he go to school?”
<---->
“Potter’s Field,” she said. <---> Hugo called it the Eton for athletes, musicians and thugs. He meant it as a compliment.”
<--->
Tony Parsons - The Murder Bag

Is very weird! With this Potter’ Field! I am confused. In context, he, his housband, studied at... cemetery?? I think not! So, what means here Poter’s Field? Variantes: A college... a town... Euphemistic, a place of dishonor and abandonment...I dont know...

<---> Text removed to comply with 4-sentence limit on quotation (Rule 4). Cagey, moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Glenfarclas

English (American)
    According to this review of the book, Potter's Field is "a public school that already existed at the time of Henry VIII – the monarch’s beloved dogs are buried in the school grounds." Presumably it is fictional.

pob14

American English
    It's the name of a school, according to this site's mention of the book:
    Much of the focus settles on Potter’s Field, a public school that already existed at the time of Henry VIII – the monarch’s beloved dogs are buried in the school grounds.
    Whether this is an actual school or one created by the author, I don't know, but perhaps we have a Londoner on here who does.

Edit: Glen found the same website and posted faster.

Andygc

British English
    A school. As far as I'm aware it's fictitional. The description in your post and Glenfarclas's suggests an amalgam of Millfield School and something much older.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Just for the record, a public school in England is a place where the parents have to pay to send their kids to. In the US a public school is paid for by the state in which you live (e.g. California).

I really doubt that "Potter's Field" is even remotely likely as a name for a school, especially one that has been in existence since the early 1500s.:)

< Previous | Next >