pouet pouet

Jessic

Español
Firstable Hello! wel...I hope someone can help me to traduce this word word "pouet" , is it like poulet?

Thank you so much

• cemuria

France, french
    "pouet pouet" (usually doubled) is supposed to be the sound made by the old car horn. And, by extension, funny sounds (child trumpets,etc..)

Jessic

Español
    thank you very much. I´m sorry for haven´t replied before! and yes: everytime i see that word written on a message, it is written twice:"pouet, pouet"

thank you!

toddsschneider

Canada, English
    Here it is in context. I still don't understand.

Une année qu’on aura envie d’oublier, garanti. D’ailleurs que s’est-il passé en 2007 à part que la neige a neigé outrageusement à deux reprises? Pouet, pouet. Il y a des années comme ça qui laissent perplexes. Ou qui traînent en longueur. Des années chargées, et sombres, et pénibles.

le chat noir

French
    Hahaha (wipes tears from his eyes). Sorry. Very well written text.

Here I think "pouet pouet" refers to a clown honking a horn in a vain attempt to amuse cynical, bored to death children.

Think of this scene in "brassed off" just before the desperate clown loses it and starts telling bewildered childrens how God created Torries :).

floise

U.S.;English
    Le chat noir,

Am I allowed to thank you twice in a day? Merci! I was thinking about Toddschneider's sentence for a while, not being able to make sense of the pouet pouet part, but now that you mention the clown routine (tell a joke, it's a flop, honk the horn, tell another joke, probably another flop, etc.), it makes total sense.

floise

lilouche

France
    hello!

just to say that when you say "pouet pouet" to someone,it means "shut up".like "ferme ta boite a camenbert" like we're used to saying when we are about....6 years old^^

EngrProf

Un autre context de Liberation​ le 07.02.2014 dans un article sur l'arrogance de Google:

"Et puis d’abord, Google «ne saurait soutenir qu’une atteinte grave et immédiate pourrait être portée à la poursuite même de son activité ou à ses intérêts financiers et patrimoniaux ou encore à un intérêt public.» Alors, hein, pouet pouet."

Puis en anglais on dirait ici "Shame on you!"?

le chat noir

French
    In that case, it refers to a common child talk "pouet pouet camembert" or simply "camembert" :)
    The metaphor is to close your mouth like a camembert box (sometimes children say "ferme ta boîte à camembert, tu l'ouvriras pour le dessert").
    The gesture that goes along is to figure a closing mouth with the thumb and the other four fingers.

It is used in a context when you could say "look who's talking" or something like that.

< Previous | Next >