poule

marva

United States and English
If a man addresses a woman as "ma poule" should it be taken as a expression of endearment or something less virtuous?

Poule means hen, right? Like we use "chick" as a synonym for girl?

• Dothy

France
    "poule" clearly means "chick". Therefore I would not say it's an expression of endearment, unless if the person use it ironicaly.
    From where I'm from (suburbs of Paris) it sounds pretty old, out of fashion. guys wouldn't use it a lot or slightly more in an ironic way. But on the other hand, more and more you use a word ironicaly, more chance it has to regain its first meaning in the common language. So maybe one day you'll hear "He! ma poule!" everywhere in the suburbs of Paris, or can you already? :eek:

marva

Oui, I think you can already hear it already as this man lives in Paris. He is English though, not French, so maybe that has something to do with the use of "chick" in a salutation. He is a friendly, flirting type, so I figured it was not used negatively.
    Thanks for your help; so now I can call him "mon coq?" he he ;)

marva

Oui, I think you can already hear it already as this man lives in Paris. He is English though, not French, so maybe that has something to do with the use of "chick" in a salutation. He is a friendly, flirting type, so I figured it was not used negatively.
    Thanks, Dothy, for your help; so now I can call him "mon coq?" he he ;)