Pour down

harvien

greek
Hi to all
My question is whether Is pour down phrasal verb or compound verb consisting of verb and preposisiton
thanks for your help

• ewie

English English
    Hi Harvien. Do you mean pour down as in I'm not going outside today ~ it's pouring down! or do you mean pour down as in O mighty Lord, pour down your blessings upon the Earth.

harvien

greek
    Hi ewie

The fact that I mean is that is pour down phrasal verb or compound verb consisting of verb and preposisiton below the sentence?

Sweat was pouring down brendon's forehead when he was travelling on the hot,crowded train.

ewie

English English
    Thanks Harvien. I'd say that's just verb + preposition. You could also have pour through (Rain was pouring through the roof), or pour into (Rain was pouring into the bathroom through a hole in the ceiling), which are the same kind of thing:)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    In your example, the preposition can only go there, where you have it: 'down Brendon's forehead'.

A particle verb is one where the preposition can go either before or after the object of the verb. If 'pour out' was a particle verb, both of these would be correct:

:tick:Sweat was pouring down Brendon's forehead.
    :cross:Sweat was pouring Brendon's forehead down.

But you can't say the second one. So it isn't a particle verb (it's not 'phrasal', in older terminology). It's not an idiom: the word 'down' has its ordinary meaning.

< Previous | Next >