pour faire régulièrement le ménage dans les fichiers

goMego

Russian
Bonjour,

Est-ce que vous pourriez corriger la traduction, svp. Le contexte: "Une partie du débat s'est concentrée sur la section 215, qui permet au FBI d'obtenir secrètement des informations sur les consultations de livres dans les bibliothèques publiques".

La phrase à traduire: "Certains bibliothécaires étaient néanmoins entrés en résistance et s'arrangeaient pour faire régulièrement le ménage dans les fichiers."

Nevertheless, some librarians tried to resist the government’s measure and regularly arrange the cleaning of library records."

• CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    "faire le ménage" means "remove unwanted, disliked or unpleasant stuff"

I would suggest "and managed to regularily do some housekeeping (housecleaning !!) in the files"
    Hope it helps!

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    In the UK civil service, removing duplicate, ephemeral or otherwise unwanted material from files, so they don't take up too much room, is called 'weeding' the files.
    Yes,I agree with you but what I understand here, is that "faire le ménage" is a humorous understatement : the librarian did not agree with the FBI spying on book readers indentity, then, not only did they clean the system (weeding the files as you said), but they went farther, removing (as it seems) readers identity information from the files. That's why I tried something in the same way.
    Hope it helps!

goMego

Russian
    Hello,

Yes,I agree with you but what I understand here, is that "faire le ménage" is a humorous understatement : the librarian did not agree with the FBI spying on book readers indentity, then, not only did they clean the system (weeding the files as you said), but they went farther, removing (as it seems) readers identity information from the files. That's why I tried something in the same way.
    Hope it helps!
    Thank you :)

< Previous | Next >