pour in water in empty glasses

• LQZ

Mandarin
    Questioned about the long-term effects of Japan’s effort to “feed and bleed” the reactors — pouring in cooling water, then releasing it as steam into the atmosphere — he said there was an effort now under way to “minimize the release” of radioactivity into the air. New York Times (subscription, free)
    Dear all,

I am wondering whether it should be "pouring with", not "pouring in". Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I don't know the politically correct label for them or their "variety" of English, but there are people who would say that if the water goes into the glass, that is what you have to say. If you pour water "in a glass," you are in the glass.

Position or location = in
    Motion = into

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Pouring in is correct: "pouring in cooling water, then releasing it as steam into the atmosphere" explains what they mean by "feed and bleed": "pouring in water" = feed, and "releasing it as steam" = bleed (drain off).

I am not certain this answers your question. Why did you think it should be 'with'?

LQZ

Mandarin
    I don't know the politically correct label for them or their "variety" of English, but there are people who would say that if the water goes into the glass, that is what you have to say. If you pour water "in a glass," you are in the glass.

Position or location = in
    Motion = into
    Thanks, Fabulist.:)

But I am asking whether "pouring in cooling water" is correct. To my mind, it should be "pouring with cooling water".

LQZ

Mandarin
    Pouring in is correct: "pouring in cooling water, then releasing it as steam into the atmosphere" explains what they mean by "feed and bleed": "pouring in water" = feed, and "releasing it as steam" = bleed (drain off).

I am not certain this answers your question. Why did you think it should be 'with'?
    Thanks, Cagey.

I think I might misunderstand the quoted. But now I've got it. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >