pour partager un savoir-faire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by dratuor, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dratuor Senior Member

lille, nord
    french - france
    I would like to express the idea that a sort of organization is very efficient to train future operators because they can be taught how to do something in very small group, so that the teacher can give them some tips.

I came up with :

It is probably one of the best ways to teach technical practices and to share” how-to” knowledge.

but I'm not quite sure on this one.

thanks!

2. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    quel est l'idée de départ ? partager un savoir-faire ?
    --> It's a recommended way to learn best practices and share business knowledge ??

3. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

pour leur montrer les ficelles du métier ?

4. JulianoS

JulianoS Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    Română - România
    Hello!

If it is in English that you are looking for an expression, I believe it should be ...to share the know-how knowledge.

5. dratuor Senior Member

lille, nord
    french - france
    oops sorry my mistake, I'm french and I'm writting in english, my question was (or should have been anyway)

is my sentence correct?

6. wildan1

Well, in this group, if we aren't jumping all over your English, dratuor, that's a good sign that the sentence is OK the way it stands! :D

7. dratuor Senior Member

lille, nord
    french - france
    fair enough!

thanks everyone

8. Mikebo

Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    I don't think the word "knowledge" is necessary here, it is implied in "know-how".

9. JulianoS

JulianoS Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    Română - România
    OK, I agree with you only for half of the corrections.

I still believe it should be ...to share the know-how.

We do not say ... to share object we say to share an/the object.

Please do correct me if I am wrong!

10. Mikebo

Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    We would say, for example, "to share food", "to share knowlege" in a general sense.
    For example:

"One of the main aims of the organisation is to get different groups to share knowledge and information with each other"

On the other hand, we would say:

"He decided to share the food he had brought, with his friend, who had none"
    "He was unwilling to share the knowledge he had gained"

In this second case, we are talking about some specific, defined and identified thing.

Notice that in the original sentence: dratuor has said "to teach technical practices" not "the technical practices", so we can assume the sentence is non-specific, therefore "know-how" should also not have the article.(IMHO)

11. wildan1

I think dratuor's original sentence was quite fine as it stood. Aren't we dancing on the head of a pin here?!

12. JulianoS

JulianoS Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    Română - România
    Aaaaah, now I got the point and I totally agree with you, Mikebo. :eek:

Thank you very much for sharing the knowledge! :D

13. Mikebo

Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    Don't mention it: I'm always happy to share knowledge, whether giving it or, better still, receiving it. :)

14. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Another option here is "professional expertise."

It probably one of the best ways to teach technical practices and to share professional expertise.

"Know-how knowledge" is redundant, and I would suggest against its use. What other type of knowledge would there be, "know-nothing" knowledge?

You could also say "share professional know-how." Personally, I would use this orally if the mood struck me, but in writing would use a more formal term, such as the one I suggested above.

15. wildan1

But the original translation proposed was how-to knowledge (as opposed to theoretical knowledge) Nothing at all redundant there...

(If you want to discuss "know-how" maybe it would be worth starting your own thread, EBP. Nobody will be able to find it buried down here.)

16. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Yes, you're right now that I look back. But I still think "how-to" knowledge sounds redundant and awkward. If I read that, I would think the person was not a native speaker, or that the text was written quickly and not proofread.

If the point is to distinguish from technical knowledge, or theoretical knowledge, another idea comes to mind: "hands-on expertise" or "hands-on experience."

Another good option to my ears, even in writing, would be "practical know-how." In fact, if the text is intended to be fairly informal, this is my first choice.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  17. wildan1

Our friend dratuor is most likely just trying to make sure his own English writing is correct overall.

Maybe this kind of hair-splitting is better served by posting it in the English Only forum.