pour répondre à un ancrage territorial

LMorland

American English
Bonjour à tous ! Do you think that the word ancrage could also mean "rooted"? Here's a sentence I'm working on presently ("X" is a major French company):
X a une politique de partenariat sportif d’une part pour répondre à un ancrage territorial de nos métiers, d’autres part parce que les valeurs sportives et notamment les valeurs du tennis répondent aux valeurs de l’entreprise que peuvent être l’esprit d’équipe, le professionnalisme, le dépassement de soi.
Here's my first attempt:
X partners with these sporting events for two reasons: one, because our business is rooted in this area, and second, because sports values, particularly those of tennis, mirror business values, such as team spirit, professionalism, and working for something greater than oneself.
Merci d'avance !

Last edited:
  • Moon Palace

French
    I would suggest: 'to meet the local condition of our business / occupations'. 'pour répondre' is an aim, not a cause, and 'l'ancrage territorial de nos métiers' means they have to match this local characteristic of their business.

LMorland

American English
    'pour répondre' is an aim, not a cause, and 'l'ancrage territorial de nos métiers' means they have to match this local characteristic of their business.
    Thanks very much, Moon Palace!

My only problem is that this solution, while technically correct, doesn't make sense in the greater context of my document. The situation is that "X" is a huge company with global reach based in Paris. Their business has nothing whatever to do with sports. Nevertheless, "X" have funded a group of children from la banlieue to spend a week observing a tennis match in Paris (including getting to meet some of the players). It's a charitable act, and here the company rep is explaining why the company has chosen to do it.

Do you see why I can't use "to meet the local conditions of our business"?

Again, I appreciate your input very much.

Moon Palace

French
    OK, it is indeed not possible in view of the larger context. How about then: 'because it is in keeping with our local roots?

LMorland

American English
    OK, it is indeed not possible in view of the larger context. How about then: 'because it is in keeping with our local roots?
    Yes! Here's what I ended up writing:
    X partners with these sports events for two reasons: first, because it responds to a local need where our roots are, and second, because sports values, particularly those of tennis, mirror business values, such as team spirit, professionalism, and working at something greater than oneself. Moreover, this partnership embraces another of our values: developing young people’s competence and achieving social integration.
    Thanks so much to all of you (and to Mod Mélu, who also contributed privately).

Moon Palace

French
    a local need where our roots are = I understand it to mean that they are settled in the very suburbs where the young people they are trying to help live, which doesn't seem to be the case. As I understand the context you have described, they are reaching out to people who don't live in Paris but could be interested in seeing such sporty events as you have mentioned, with a view to enhancing their image, while purporting to do something that is in accordance with their local roots.
    Now, you're the boss, LMorland. :)

LMorland

American English
    Gee, Moon Palace, I guess we have "a different vision of life" ... or at least of what constitutes "local". ;)

To put it in perspective, "X" is a company with
    62 000 collaborateurs, dont 30 000 en France
    that is -- they have operations in every continent of the world except Australia! And so for them Paris avec sa banlieue constitutes their "ancrage territorial". At least that's how I see it.

And on a personal note, I would hope that other large companies based in Paris would also consider the banlieue as part of their "territory", and not fall into what we in America might call an "inside the beltway" point of view. However, if you now have (or anyone has) a better suggestion that also fits the context, I would be more than grateful.

Moon Palace

French
    I wouldn't say then that we have "a different vision of life", I would merely say that our access to context was not the same... ;):p And thus I could not deduce the scope of the adjective local in relation to this context.
    Now I understand and agree on the last suggestion, but as always it is context which makes things different.

retriever gal

English (the Queen's)
    Hi folks,

I'm tagging on to this thread with "ancrage territorial" in this little gem :

"Les climats bourguignons font partie des appellations d’origine protégée (AOP), qui signent l’ancrage territorial d’une production agricole."

My try so far :
    The Burgundian Climats are part of the protected designations of origin (PDO), which is responsible for linking an area of agricultural production to a (particular) territory.
    Sounds a bit weird to me but that's what the French says - I think - anyone got a better idea?

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Hi,

the meaning is "... which certify the link between an agricultural production and a (particular) territory...", but now you have to find an elegant way to say it.

Weeks spent translating a mix of advertising blabla and viticulture gibberish, how happy you must be, I'm so jealous... :D

retriever gal

English (the Queen's)
    You're telling me...I've just spent 3 & 1/2 months doing it!!!:eek:
    Can't think of a more elegant way of saying it - anyway this is supposed to be a fairly 'scientific' analysis...so I'm leaving it at that.

expat66

English - American
    I know this is more than a dozen years later, but I've just discovered that territorial anchoring/anchorage is actually a business term. Hope this helps someone.

LMorland

American English
    I know this is more than a dozen years later, but I've just discovered that territorial anchoring/anchorage is actually a business term. Hope this helps someone.
    Hmmm... territorial anchorage is a business term in English? I would love to see the context!

Thanks for your contribution. It's true that I started this thread 13 years ago, but additional contributions are always valuable.

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    En français cette expression peut aussi être utilisée dans le cadre du business.

Par exemple, pour une grande entreprise productrice d'électricité, 165 000 salariés en 2021, l'ancrage territorial signifie "dépenser de l'argent en local" : Employer des personnels issu de l'environnement de ses centres de production, privilégier les sous-traitants implantés à côté de ses centres de production, soutenir financièrement les associations locales, sportives ou autres, etc.
    Pour une entreprise multinationale, revendiquer son ancrage territorial c'est un message pour les députés et sénateurs de chaque région : je suis implanté dans votre région, j'y dépense beaucoup d'argent, j'y fais vivre beaucoup de monde, pensez-y quand vous votez des lois.