Pour tout savoir, pour tout savoir faire

fig

English - England
Bonjour

Je suis anglaise et je dois traduire un article français en anglais mais j'ai du mal avec le premier paragraphe :

« Pour tout savoir, pour tout savoir faire, pour être pompier, une preuve supplémentaire a été donnée hier, une équipe de sapeurs ont dû organiser une chasse â l’ours pendant 2 heures dans la cour d’un immeuble du 20e arrondissement à Paris »

Mon effort :

‘To know it all, for all the know-how, to be a fire-fighter, an additional piece of evidence was given yesterday, a team of fire-fighters had to organise a bear-hunt lasting two hours in the courtyard of a building in the 20th district of Paris’

To me this doesn’t make sense! I must be translating something wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• mgarizona

US - American English
    So that they know everything a firefighter has to know, so they know how to do everything a firefighter has to know how to do, etc.

This is a sentence that has to be fully refashioned to function in English, but that shd get you over yr hump, as I read it.

fig

English - England
    It definitely says "une preuve" but there are many printing errors in this course material so I wouldn't be surprised if it is supposed to say "épreuve".

Would "épreuve" make more sense in this context?

Wopsy

English - Ireland
    It definitely says "une preuve" but there are many printing errors in this course material so I wouldn't be surprised if it is supposed to say "épreuve".

Would "épreuve" make more sense in this context?
    Well, épreuve means test. I think it would make more sense. Wait & see what a native speaker thinks ...

fig

English - England
    Thanks mgarizona, that really helps. But the sentence still doesn't seem to make sense to me.

valskyfrance

FRANCE, FRENCH
    Bonjour

Je suis anglaise et je dois traduire un article français en anglais mais j'ai du mal avec le premier paragraphe :

« Pour tout savoir(connaissance), pour tout savoir faire(savoir(s) faire), pour être pompier, une épreuve supplémentaire a été donnée hier, une équipe de sapeurs ont dû organiser une chasse â l’ours pendant 2 heures dans la cour d’un immeuble du 20e arrondissement à Paris »

Mon effort :

‘To know it all, for all the know-how, to be a fire-fighter, an additional piece of evidence was given yesterday, a team of fire-fighters had to organise a bear-hunt lasting two hours in the courtyard of a building in the 20th district of Paris’

To me this doesn’t make sense! I must be translating something wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Connaissance(s) et savoirs faire en français ne sont pas synonymes.

Hope it help

constantlyconfused

English - British
    Having googled this phrase, I think there might a French festival when children dress/make up as bears...

Maybe a native speaker can help here?

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    I think that the sentence means, roughly, 'Another proof was given yesterday that a firefighter has to know everything and be able to do everything....'

Spleen

USA English
    Perhaps a bear escaped from a nearby zoo (Vincennes) and the fireman had to go catch it. They're known to rescue cats from trees, etc. It looks like they're showing how the firemen are absolutely ready to act and show their technique, a true test being the time they had to hunt down a bear in a building located in the 20th district/arrondissement of Paris. Hope this helps... (for the idea of a bear hunt in Paris, anyway!)

QBU

France, French
    French grammar: une équipe de sapeurs pompiers a du organiser...
    Besides the poor grammar, the whole sentence is a bit weird. I assume that éperuve should be read in place of preuve.
    Catherine

fig

English - England
    Thank you so much everybody for your help. It is beginning to come together a little bit.

I should add that the article goes on to say that a man was keeping a bear in his apartment and it escaped.

As for the bad grammar, I am really frustrated about this. I am taking a "teach yourself at home" French course and it is filled with grammar mistakes and ridiculous errors. I am definitely going to complain.

karangreg

English national
    I think that "Suehil" definitely had the right idea to start with : 'Another proof was given yesterday that a firefighter has to know everything and be able to do everything, when a team of firemen were obliged to organize a 2 hour bear hunt, in the courtyard of a building in the 20th District of Paris.' It was easier to finish once you'd given the story of the man with a bear in his appartment ... which must have supplied "constantlyconfused" with the answer he's been vainly looking for since yesterday morning ... he definitely had the right idea .. without the complete story, it wasn't easy at all to imagine. :D

< Previous | Next >