pouring over

post12

Korean - Korea
Excerpts from the Economist dated on Jan 2020, p 28 second paragraph

Steady demand for his services suggests his old-school methods work. Any case begins with pouring over police and autopsy reports, witness statements and other trial papers-these are stacked in manila folders on his office floor, ~~

I think it is a typo of "poring over." Do you agree with me?
If then, I am very happy to find a typo as a non-native English speaker from the Economist(which is almost typo-free) in seven years.

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    Congratulations on catching it :thumbsup:, but given that it's such a frequent error by native speakers who should know better, I would not let the miscreant author/editor off the hook by passing ignorance off as a typo. :cool:

post12

Korean - Korea
    Congratulations on catching it :thumbsup:, but given that it's such a frequent error by native speakers who should know better, I would not let the miscreant author/editor off the hook by passing ignorance off as a typo. :cool:
    Thank you very much for your comment. You are sounding a bit harsh, considering that this sort of typo is such a frequent error even by native speakers. What would happen if I raise this issue to the Economist as a subscriber who have found "two errors" for the past seven years? ;)

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you very much for your comment. Your are sounding a bit harsh, considering that this sort of typo is such a frequent error even by native speakers. What would happen if I raise this issue to the Economist as a subscriber who have found "two errors" for the past seven years?
    Repeating: The choice of the wrong word is not a "typo."
    A typo is made striking an unintended key on the keyboard of whatever device you're using. ;)
    (In recent years, the problem is compounded by software called "autocomplete" that automatically inserts the word it thinks you want.)
    We're probably getting off-topic, but personally, I would send a "for shame" note to the Economist, but usually such missives do not elicit a reply -- at least mine don't.:)

post12

Korean - Korea
    Repeating: The choice of the wrong word is not a "typo."
    A typo is made striking an unintended key on the keyboard of whatever device you're using. ;)
    (In recent years, the problem is compounded by software called "autocomplete" that automatically inserts the word it thinks you want.)
    We're probably getting off-topic, but personally, I would send a "for shame" note to the Economist, but usually such missives do not elicit a reply -- at least mine don't.:)
    That explains! Sounds great!!

Loob

English UK
    Google tells me that the error has already been corrected in the online version of the article.;)