Power lift truck / forklift

< Previous | Next >

toygekko

Hi everyone! I'm just translating a report of an incident which involved a power lift truck. I was wondering if it's the same as a forklift. (Or, perhaps, a forklift truck?) Any misunderstanding on my part there? Thanks in advance!

• George French

English - UK
    Hi everyone! I'm just translating a report of an incident which involved a power lift truck. I was wondering if it's the same as a forklift. (Or, perhaps, a forklift truck?) Any misunderstanding on my part there? Thanks in advance!
    I suspect you will have to go back to the source.

GF..

You may need a foto.....

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I agree with Myridon's #5: If the report mentions both things, it is likely that they are not the same.

For many years I translated technical data for a manufacturer of forklifts (or forklift trucks). I used these two terms interchangeably, depending on the context and structure of the sentence.

However, the same firm also made cherry-pickers and other sorts of machines, which must in no way be considered as forklifts - for instance, you mustn't carry people on a forklift. Also, the mechanics were different. The term powerlift wasn't in their glossary, but I would assume it to be a wider term than forklift, covering some or all of this other lifting gear.

< Previous | Next >