Power

< Previous | Next >

Persimmon

Italian
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you can help me out with something.

I've been struggling to figure out whether the word Power (meaning of strength),(pouvoir) as it is in english, is known/understood around the world.

Do you think that the majority of people in your country know what power means in Japanese?

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Yameso

Japanese
    Do you think that the majority of people in your country know what power means in Japanese?
    quote]

Let me make sure. Are you asking if most Japanese know the English word "power?"
    (I'm a little confused because you said in "Japanese" not in "Japan.")
    If that's your question, then the answer is absolutely yes.

wathavy

Japanese
    Hi.

Power / パワー is very well known, as well as powerful (パワフル).
    But not pouvoir, only those who knows French would know it is the auxiliary verb.

Cheers.

Persimmon

Italian
    Hi guys,

thanks for getting back to me.

I meant both in Japanese (what the word means) and in Japan (if this word is common as a loan word, maybe through the media)

Thanks

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Hi,

I've read the threads you opened in other forums. I am going to base my comments off on some responses you got in KR.

First, we have to determine what the word power can mean. In fact it means so many things that no other languages can be expected to incorporate all the senses while they borrow the English word.

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
    , for example, gives 15 definitions for the noun power. I think only this is understood by the Japanese speaking public:
    10 the strength or energy contained in sth: The ship was helpless against the power of the storm.
    It was a performance of great power.
    They were impressed by the power of her arguments

The word when loaned into Japanese primarily means general physical energy. Reference to specific types of energy is not known (eg. electricity).

< Previous | Next >