Power

francescodelè

Italian
Salve, si tratta di un testo tutto giocato sull'ambiguità del termine power, inteso sia come elettricità/energià che come potere/autorità.

Vi do una frase chiave a titolo di esempio:

But could the energy transition hold within it the potential for something more? The substitution of one type of power for another?
[il corsivo è nel testo, a sottolineare dove il termine viene usato in questa doppia accezione]

Qualcuno ha suggerimenti su possibili soluzioni, locuzioni, che possano rendere questo doppio significato?

grazie,
francesco

• Salve, si tratta di un testo tutto giocato sull'ambiguità del termine power, inteso sia come elettricità/energià che come potere/autorità.
    Solo leggendo la frase da te citata, questa dualità non è per niente scontata. Sei sicuro che intendano proprio quello?
    The substitution of one type of power for another?
    Ci stai chiedendo come tradurre in italiano questra frase?
    TU come la tradurresti?

francescodelè

Italian
    Solo leggendo la frase da te citata, questa dualità non è per niente scontata. Sei sicuro che intendano proprio quello?

Ci stai chiedendo come tradurre in italiano questra frase?
    TU come la tradurresti?
    Sì, ne sono sicuro, perché come scrivevo il testo gioca tutto su questa ambiguità, trattando sia di transizione energetica che di cambiamento dei sistemi di potere (dai nostri sistemi legati saldamente al fossile a nuovi ipotetici sistemi).

Vi chiedo non tanto come tradurre la frase, ma la parola "power" in questo contesto.
    Per rendere l'ambiguità io mi sentirei di tradurre qualcosa come "potere-energia". Molto brutto, ma non mi viene altro.

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Provando a rendere esplicita la frase, potremmo dire :

E' possibile che la transizione energetica contenga in se' il potenziale per qualcosa di piu'? La sostituzione di un tipo di rapporti di potere con altri?

A me pare che il doppio senso e' talmente poco importante per la resa del significato che sorge il dubbio che si tratti di una coincidenza, o perfino di un malinteso. Anche perche' in senso 'macro' energia in inglese e' 'energy', non 'power'. Non si dice 'power policy' per dire 'politica energetica', ma 'energy policy'. Per dire 'fonti energetiche' si dice 'energy sources', non 'power sources', che eventualmente sono collegamenti elettrici, prese etc., in senso 'micro'. L'Italia ha bisogno di 'energy sources', il mio tostapane di una 'power source'.

rrose17

Canada, English
    FWIW when I first read the above quote I didn't see any ambiguity and understood it as having to do with energy and nothing else, the word power being used in order not to repeat energy. Now, after this discussion I suppose it could mean more but I'd say it's not obviously ambiguous.

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    FWIW when I first read the above quote I didn't see any ambiguity and understood it as having to do with energy and nothing else, the word power being used in order not to repeat energy. Now, after this discussion I suppose it could mean more but I'd say it's not obviously ambiguous.

Amazing! Exactly the opposite of what I see, which is of course influenced by the OP's allegations on the way the context is.

In other words, "The substitution of one type of power for another" would refer to the shift in economic and political power that decarbonization would/will mean. If that were not the case, the second sentence would just repeat the first. "Energy transition" is in essence "The substitution of one type of power energy for another", isn't it?

rrose17

Canada, English
    Amazing! Exactly the opposite of what I see
    What makes the world go round, I guess, and keeps these forums buzzing. I mean it could be as you write, certainly, but unless we were to see more text that equates political power with energy it wouldn’t be my understanding.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Here's some context:

Before the COP: Sustainable power

But could the energy transition hold within it the potential for something more? The substitution of one type of power for another?

Western global power was erected with the industrial revolution’s turbo-charging of capitalism — and its outrider, colonialism. It stands to reason, then, that a new basis of power — solar, wind, renewable power — could also be the basis for a new type of political power. As we shall see, certain actors understand this very well.

What is power? In the years since the 2013 military coup in Egypt I have returned again and again to this question — of how power is built, maintained, inflicted or lost. The Sisi regime is relentless in its mission to express its power over a populace through police violence, mass incarceration, media propaganda and urban engineering, all emanating from a hyper-centralized core of control. It struggles to fulfill the most basic of functions: trains routinely crash, the water is polluted, food prices climb higher as the currency weakens year on year, even property rights are barely protected — yet its power persists. The state seems like a body on life support, a series of tubes running in and out of it, foreign doctors occasionally administering steroidal loans or applying structural adjustment chemotherapies. We study the tubes, the infrastructure, the industrial and commercial networks running in and out of it to understand how it is being kept alive.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Thank you Charles for finding this. So I was wrong and it is indeed playing with the word power like Ody was saying.