powoli, wolno, pomalo...

Aerio

USA
English, Polish
Hello everyone, :)

This came up to me the other day: the differences between powoli, wolno, po malo, and po malutko. Other similar words are gladly accepted of course.

My question is, what is the formal distinction between each word? Context, usage, etc.?

At home, I noticed I say Jedz powoli or Jedz po malo (my apologies if it's incorrectly spelled) when referring to driving. Any suggestions?

• robin74

Just a spelling note - it's powoli, wolno, pomału, pomalutku.

I can't really think of any usage differences between powoli and wolno. I wouldn't however say "jedź pomału". To me, pomału means more "in small dozes", so you could eat or drink something pomału (slowly), but driving pomału doesn't sound that well to me.

Aerio

USA
    English, Polish
    Just a spelling note - it's powoli, wolno, pomału, pomalutku.

I can't really think of any usage differences between powoli and wolno. I wouldn't however say "jedź pomału". To me, pomału means more "in small dozes", so you could eat or drink something pomału (slowly), but driving pomału doesn't sound that well to me.

Thank you. Sorry for the misspellings, I guess I write as I speak but I speak English-Polish which is a diluted form of proper Polish.

Btw, I think you mean the word doses rather than dozes; at first I read it as dozens, lol.

Aerio

USA
    English, Polish
    Indeed, but in Silesian dialect people would say so.

My grandma (who's the main talker in our house) is from the Tarnow area.
    I don't know, though, if that's even remotely considered Silesian.

I would imagine I learned it from her, but lately I've been wanted to emulate my mom's proper Polish (she always corrects me like I correct her English).

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Robin's explanation looks logical to me. However, I am sure I've heard it used in the context of driving a car, or for that matter in the context of movement, meaning wolno, bez pośpiechu. Pomalutku, and I guess less often pomału, can be used in a context of asking someone how they are doing:
    Jak leci?
    Pomalutku.

I wouldn't use wolno, powoli in this context.

Tom

Oletta

Jak leci?
    Pomalutku.

I wouldn't use wolno, powoli in this context.

Tom

Hahaha, yes, I agree with Thomas. Jak leci? Wolno/powoli sounds weird. It gave me a good opportunity to laugh, thank you. BTW such usage might imply something different. (Let's imagine some tap problem in sb's kitchen. After a minor repair a person asks another one: Jak leci? (meaning the water from the tap) Powoli.)