Pr Perfect Passive and reduced relative clause

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone!
Please, tell me whether I can use reduced relative clause instead of that-clause with Present Perfect Passive.

Let’s have a look at the sentence written below as an example (I have made up the sentence myself, there is no context).

“Such level of organisation that has been achieved at these competitions is hard to beat”

Does the sentence mean the same that “Such level of organisation achieved at these competitions is hard to beat”?

Thanks in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, _Candid.

I find the word "such" a bit awkward in your sentences, but yes, you can say it either way.

"The level of organisation (that has been) achieved at these competitions is hard to beat."

You could also omit "achieved" without losing much of the meaning.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I am not saying anything about the sentence as a whole, but 'achieved at...' could mean either 'that was achieved' or 'that has been achieved'.
    PS Welcome to the forum.

icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    Boozer has a point, that the longer version has a little bit more information about time, but in most situations this is very minor. Here is another example:

1. The message that was sent on Wednesday mentioned that there will be a meeting tomorrow.
    2. The message sent on Wednesday mentioned that there will be a meeting tomorrow.

In cases like this, both have the same meaning, but I would go with sentence #2 to avoid repeating the word 'that' too many times.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Welcome, _Candid.

I agree with Florentia's suggestion of starting the sentence with "The level of organisation ..." — and, that being the case, with everyone's comments.

However, if you did want to start the sentence with "such", the construction would be:. "Such a level of organisation as has been achieved ... is hard to beat."
    In this case, the "as has been" cannot be omitted.

Ws
    :)

< Previous | Next >