PR transmission

< Previous | Next >

Sole_chan

UK
Italiano
Hey everybody!

I've come across this phrase and I'm not sure of its meaning... Does PR stand for Public Radio?

Cheers

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    My first guess at these initials, with no context, would be "Public Relations." However, we shouldn't have to guess. In what context did you come across it? Please provide at least a complete sentence and tell us something about the general subject that was under discussion.

Sole_chan

UK
    Italiano
    You're completely, right! I forgot to give a context. Sorry about that and here you go:
    The paranoia is in bloom
    The P.R. transmissions will resume
    They’ll try to push drugs, keep us all dumbed down
    And hope that we will never see the truth around
    It's the first verse from song Uprising by Muse.

I looked up the expression on the internet and I found different meanings. One was "Public radio", another was the one you wrote, Egmont. But they don't fit the context.
    What do you think?

Thanks.

JustKate

Neither one really fits the context, but if I had to guess, I'd say the most probable meaning is "public relations." In the first place, we (in the US) don't usually say "PR" for "public radio" - we say "NPR" for "National Public Radio." In fact, I've never heard PR used to mean "public radio." I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some people use it this way, but I would be surprised to find that it's common. I see, however, that Muse is a British group, so maybe PR=public radio is more common there?

In contrast, it's very common on both sides of the Atlantic to refer to public relations as "PR" - very common indeed. So that's my guess for what it means here - that the song writer is equating public relations to mind control or something like that. But with song lyrics, it's really hard to say.

< Previous | Next >