pre-Nabataean Hegra

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks

It is thus possible that the cult of this divinity also held an important place in pre-Nabataean Hegra.

I understood the highlighted phrasal verb as " in Hegra before being occuped by the Nabataeans", am I right?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    It's right, but the two aren't necessarily directly related. Eras encompass broad pieces of time. There was an era where the Nabataeans were the primary culture. There was an era before that where they were not. We don't know, from this passage, the length of either era. The pre-Nabataean era could have lasted a thousand years.

What we know is simply that there is archeological evidence that that divinity was (or are least might have been) worshipped in that first era. The archaeological finds could be from a time decades or hundreds of years before the Nabataeans arrived. All of that, and everything before that, is pre-Nabataean.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    One reason it is said like that, is that it's the most famous culture in that area, I think. In archeology, the most famous cultures often serve as a natural reference point. They cause a fundamental change, so the eras before and the eras after after fundamentally different.

Scholars talk about pre-Roman Britain. It's not a specific year, it's the entire Iron Age era before the Romans came. There was a certain way of life. When the Romans came, that all changed radically. They were there for 400 years. When they left, it did not go back to how it was before. It had changed too much to do that. That pre-Roman era will never exist again. Nothing will ever be pre-Roman again. Everything that came after, to this day, is influenced by the Roman era, including the existence of many famous British cities started by the Romans. The Roman era marks a very distinct historical division. And I think the Nabataeans do, too.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    One reason it is said like that, is that it's the most famous culture in that area, I think. In archeology, the most famous cultures often serve as a natural reference point. They cause a fundamental change, so the eras before and the eras after after fundamentally different.

Scholars talk about pre-Roman Britain. It's not a specific year, it's the entire Iron Age era before the Romans came. There was a certain way of life. When the Romans came, that all changed radically. They were there for 400 years. When they left, it did not go back to how it was before. It had changed too much to do that. That pre-Roman era will never exist again. Nothing will ever be pre-Roman again. Everything that came after, to this day, is influenced by the Roman era, including the existence of many famous British cities started by the Romans. The Roman era marks a very distinct historical division.
    Just want to say :
    many thanks for your answers and informative clarification.
    As I have mentioned above that I understood pre-Nabataean Hegra as
    Pre- means "before"
    Nabataean: nation
    Hegra: a city in Saudi.
    So, this cult had an important place in Hegra BEFORE Nabataeabs settled in , right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Right. They knew nothing about the Nabataeans when they were living. The Nabataeans didn't exist yet.