pre- / post- birthday celebration

Discussion in 'English Only' started by epistolario, Aug 21, 2014.

1. epistolario

epistolario Senior Member

Philippines
    Tagalog
    Is it correct to say any of the following?

This is considered as her pre-birthday celebration. (Her birthday is two days from now.)
    Yesterday, we went to the beach for his post-birthday celebration. (His birthday was the day before yesterday.)

Is it idiomatic to use pre- or post- when someone's birthday is celebrated or the party held not on the exact date of birth.

2. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Both are acceptable to me,although I usually hear early and belated in the case of birthdays.

3. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    No, pre-birthday and post-birthday are not really used like this.
    Often people whose actual birthdays fall during the week have birthday parties on a Saturday,
    for example, when more people are able to attend (they also don't have to worry about getting
    up early the next day to go to work).

In this case, I would simply say:
    Yesterday, we went to the beach to celebrate his birthday. or
    We celebrated his birthday yesterday at the beach.

4. Susan Y Senior Member

Australia
    British English
    Sorry, I disagree - these sound perfectly normal to me. "Come round on Friday night for my pre-birthday party. My real birthday's next week".

And here's a recent example from Hello magazine:

Khloé Kardashian kicks off 30th birthday celebrations early with a pre-birthday party
    http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2014062719614/khloe-kardashian-celebrates-birthday/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I agree with Susan. If you're going to have a party, you can call it anything you like. I have no problem with someone's throwing a party X days before or after someone's birthday and calling it a pre- or post-birthday bash.

6. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    As someone who always manages to stretch out my birthday festivities over the course of a month,
    I have lots of pre- and post- birthday celebrations.

However, my answer to the OP's question
    (Is it idiomatic to use pre- or post- when someone's birthday is celebrated or the party held not on the exact date of birth?)
    would only be "yes" if there were also a party held on that person's actual birthday.
    If there were only one celebration held and that celebration did not occur on the actual birthday,
    I personally would not qualify it with pre- or post-.

EDIT: I must admit that I do agree with Parla that "if you're going to have a party, you can call it anything you like.":D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014