Pre-trial diversion agreement

< Previous | Next >

melasa

English & Spanish, USA born
In criminal court, when I am interpreting
In Spanish, many times defendants are offered a stipulated order of continuance, also known as a pre-trial diversion agreement. If the defendant satisfies certain conditions of the agreement and contract with the prosecutor, the case is dismissed, often to a lesser charge.
I would like to see the many variations that this can be interpreted/translated.
And, if you would use the word “pretrial”in the translation/interpretation— “audiencia previa al juicio”
It is a program/contract that diverts the defendant from the typical criminal agreements. I’m not sure if it’s correct to refer to it as a program, but probation requires classes and possibly treatment (drugs and alcohol,anger management, etc.) that seem perhaps that it’s like a program, but more like a contract and agreement in my opinion.
I’m not sure if this is correct, but let me start with one example which is probably too literal, long, and wordy:

“Una resolución aplazada con un acuerdo de un programa alternativo de la fiscalía durante la audiencia previa al juicio”

I’m not saying I would go with this... I’m just pointing out how overly wordy an interpretation and translation can get...and I’m not even sure if “pre-trial hearing“ or “program”should be included here because it’s actually a contract, and not necessarily a program, but an agreement to a contract by the prosecutor and defendant during the pre-trial hearing phase….
I’m sure that this translation needs to include negotiation, prosecution… Etc. prosecutor ...etc ....But, should it include the word pretrial somewhere in there? Or, is it already implied by a certain translation? The problem with making a translation/interpretation to this is that it gets way too wordy… The goal is to be concise and accurate with the meaning for the translation/interpretation.
I’m sure there are much better interpretations to this… But they are all very long… And a lot to say ... In English it is more condensed, and there’s an implied understanding…(Like we already know it’s between the prosecutor, so in English they don’t include the words prosecutor or prosecution or negotiations, so why include it in Spanish?) I’m trying to come up with a very accurate and perhaps concise translation in Spanish, yet making sure I include everything, but at the same time not including unnecessary things that are already implied by the English version… yet maintaining the accuracy of the interpretation/translation.
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Veritas Patefacta

English
    This is analogous to a deferred prosecution/adjudication, which in Spanish is suspensión condicional del proceso, where the important part is that the case will be dismissed. See this for more background and various terms in English and Spanish.

Don't worry about translating "pretrial" in this context. First and foremost, because it's not really used (in this context) in Spanish and because it is implicit to everyone concerned with the case since no one has gone to trial yet. Based on all of this I would translate the term in question as conformidad condicional or acuerdo condicional.

melasa

Acuerdo condicional con la fiscalía... Maybe add to it a bit? What do you think?
    How about substitute preacuerdo for acuerdo?
    Or,
    Acuerdo de libertad provisional condicionada entre la fiscalía y el acusado (I learned this term from another member for a pre-trial diversion agreement, which is analogous to deferred prosecution)
    Here’s another:
    Una suspensión condicional de la acción penal-I also learned this from another member.

Accuracy is King in interpreting. I am a Spanish court interpreter. If both are equally accurate, then they can be used synonymously… Or, one may be preferred over another with accuracy… Opinions are welcome. There are several things to unpack here… It’s always appreciated to touch on each. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Veritas Patefacta

English
    Acuerdo condicional con la fiscalía
    You could use that, but not if the prosecutor is speaking to the judge.
    How about substitute preacuerdo for acuerdo?
    That is a Colombian legal regionalism. So, only for that country. Conformidad is widely recognized in Spanish for a criminal defendant's agreement and acuerdo serves as a good generic alternative.
    Acuerdo de libertad provisional condicionada entre la fiscalía y el acusado
    I would leave libertad provisional (pretrial release) out of it.
    suspensión condicional de la acción penal
    It's close, but you're missing the "agreement" and "diversion" elements. Come to think of it, the terms I proposed are also missing the latter. So, perhaps, acuerdo para cumplir con un programa condicional. Once you establish this term you could also use acuerdo de un programa condicional or acuerdo condicional.

melasa

You could use that, but not if the prosecutor is speaking to the judge.

That is a Colombian legal regionalism. So, only for that country. Conformidad is widely recognized in Spanish for a criminal defendant's agreement and acuerdo serves as a good generic alternative.

I would leave libertad provisional (pretrial release) out of it.

It's close, but you're missing the "agreement" and "diversion" elements. Come to think of it, the terms I proposed are also missing the latter. So, perhaps, acuerdo para cumplir con un programa condicional. Once you establish this term you could also use acuerdo de un programa condicional or acuerdo condicional.
    👍

melasa

This is what I just came up with:

“Acuerdo de libertad condicional condicionada entre la fiscalía y el acusado”

I see maybe leaving out “libertad provisional”, but at the same time, it conveys the penal nature of this agreement, because at any time of violation, the judge can revoke suspended jail time, and that can include literally serving time in jail, conversion to electronic home monitoring, and other sanctions such as work crew, work release, community service, and having to participate in various kind of treatments. All this is essential for conveying the deprivation of freedom with possible sanctions being imposed during a probationary period. I think I may keep it.

However, I’m wondering if I should replace “acuerdo” with “preacuerdo”, OR with “conformidad”, OR, just use any of the three synonymously.

“Un acuerdo para cumplir un programa condicional”
    OR,
    “Acuerdo de un programa condicional “
    OR,
    “Acuerdo condicional”
    do not convey the penal nature of the agreement, possible deprivation of freedom, and suspended sanctions [with the prosecution]
    It’s more of a softer, non-penal, version. I would use agreement over program.
    Program sounds more of a community service-based term in this context, when essentially it’s an agreement that entails severe to significant criminal sanctions. An agreement with the prosecution must convey the penal nature.

Veritas Patefacta

English
    “Acuerdo de libertad condicional condicionada entre la fiscalía y el acusado”
    La frase es cacofónica, tautológica y contiene un sentido jurídico erróneo. La palabra “condicional” se usa frecuentemente en el derecho procesal penal como, por ejemplo, condena condicional (probation), libertad condicional (parole) y suspensión condicional del proceso (deferred adjudication), pero constituye un vulgarismo jurídico confundir estas figuras. Por otra parte, no veo por qué hay que agregar la palabra “libertad” si no forma parte del término en inglés, pretrial diversion agreement, y tampoco hace falta por cuestiones culturales. Asimismo, no veo por qué tanta insistencia en agregar un regionalismo colombiano si el documento no está destinado a un público colombiano.

Me parece muy bueno que te hayas empeñado en esta labor. Si quieres seguir, te sugeriría que consultes un diccionario jurídico-monolingüe o bien un código procesal penal para entender más a fondo los conceptos legales y terminológicos del español jurídico-penal.

melasa

Since the same term and concept does not necessarily exist in the court systems in Spanish-speaking countries, sometimes not everything can be included in the translation to get the meaning across. For example, the link that you gave, was for deferred adjudication, and this thread is for pre-trial diversion agreement. That term is not entirely analogous to pre-trial diversion agreement. A pre-trial diversion agreement includes several more nuances to the agreement with the prosecution, as I originally stated when I began this thread. That link did not include anything about the word pre-trial. Therefore, not everything can be included, such as the word pretrial, because that’s implied in the concept of the translation (I do agree on that point).
    Yes, it can sound a bit redundant, and cacophonous. I actually meant, Acuerdo de libertad PROVISIONAL (not CONDICIONAL) condicionada entre el acusado y ficalía. My mistake...So it doesn’t sound redundant. And, maybe just keep fiscalía and not include, “y el acusado,” because yes, it’s starting to sound like an encyclopedia definition and not a translation of a term. We have to keep in mind that the most “perceived”accurate translation would be about 15 words, and include every detail about the meaning of a pre-trial diversion agreement. However, The translation doesn’t have to include every detail like that, because were translating a term, not creating an entry in a encyclopedia. A lot of the responses in the link you gave were two or three words translating the term DEFERRED AJUDICATION, so a debate on what should be included and what should not be included will continue ad infinitum. For example, too long, too short, too crude of an interpretation, etc. etc., ad Infinitum.
    So, one or two things will have to be left out, so long as it’s implied with the entire meaningand still remains accurate.

Pre-trial diversion agreement only includes four words. However, the defendant needs the prerequisite explanation by a lawyer for this term to make sense, then all of the meaning is implied with this four word term.

So, focusing on the meaning of pre-trial diversion agreement is critical, a concept unique to the court system if United States of America.

We all know that this agreement occurs during a pre-trial. So we can agree that that doesn’t necessarily have to be included because it’s implied. But, it is included in English, but we all omit it from the Spanish translation so far. Food for thought.
    what we choose to include or omit will continue to vary… So, again, we have to concentrate on the meaning of what a pre-trial diversion agreement is in order to interpret it accurately.
    We all know that we can’t literally just translate all four words. That is “calco”.
    So, opinions and versions on how to convey the meaning well get very convoluted and vary.
    I definitely will rethink the translation of this term, with your comments about the “libertad condicional”part. However, that is exactly what is at stake with a pre-trial diversion agreement, deprivation of freedom for possible violations sanctioned by penal actions. This is spawned from an agreement with the prosecution.
    Regarding “preacuerdo,”And the use of Colombian regionalisms, with an audience that may not be strictly from Columbia, it is a moot point, because on an interpreting exam, any regionalism that is synonymous would suffice, so long as a Spanish-speaker of the world could make sense and understand, preacuerdo, acuerdo, conformidad... So, in general, points would not be taken off if either synonym were to be used (In general, for any Spanish-speaker to understand).

In short, the thread is for the concept pre-trial diversion agreement, NOT deferred adjudication, from the link that you provided, and that I looked at.

So, the use of libertad provisional condicionada, was an attempt to get the meaning across for pre-trial diversion agreement, not deferred adjudication.

I understand your reasoning, and it is enlightening me to keep on analyzing.

However, it would be helpful if you could provide a translated version of the concept PRETRIAL DIVERSION AGREEMENT.

Thanks

Last edited:

Veritas Patefacta

English
    the same … concept does not necessarily exist in the court systems in Spanish-speaking countries
    That is incorrect. Please see the cited statutes of the Venezuelan criminal procedure code below. I've underlined certain sections to highlight those that are the most pertinent to this thread.
    the link that you gave, was for deferred adjudication, and thread is for pre-trial diversion agreement
    Hopefully, you will be able to see how the two are interconnected and how you can connect suspención condicional del proceso and conformidad or acuerdo to get a translation for what you’re looking for.

“libertad condicional”part. However, that is exactly what is at stake with a pre-trial diversion agreement, deprivation of freedom for possible violations sanctioned by penal actions.
    The “deprivation of freedom,” can be at the arrest, throughout the proceedings, throughout the programs, at sentencing and after having served a determinate or indeterminate prison sentence. Forget the term libertad condicional for this context because it only applies to parole, as defined by countless statutes in Latin America.

it would be helpful if you could provide a translated version of the concept PRETRIAL DIVERSION AGREEMENT.
    That is what I provided in post number four (above).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CODIGO ORGANICO PROCESAL PENAL DE VENEZUELA

Sección tercera

De la Suspensión Condicional del Proceso

Artículo 42. Requisitos.
    En los casos de delitos leves, cuya pena no exceda de tres años en su límite máximo, el imputado podrá solicitar al Juez de control, o al Juez de juicio si se trata del procedimiento abreviado, la suspensión condicional del proceso, siempre que admita plenamente el hecho que se le atribuye, aceptando formalmente su responsabilidad en el mismo; se demuestre que ha tenido buena conducta predelictual y no se encuentre sujeto a esta medida por otro hecho. A tal efecto, el Tribunal Supremo de Justicia, a través del órgano del Poder Judicial que designe, llevará un registro automatizado de los ciudadanos a quienes les haya sido suspendido el proceso por otro hecho. La solicitud deberá contener una oferta de reparación del daño causado por el delito y el compromiso del imputado de someterse a las condiciones que le fueren impuestas por el tribunal conforme a lo dispuesto en el artículo 44 de este Código. La oferta podrá consistir en la conciliación con la víctima o en la reparación natural o simbólica del daño causado.

Artículo 43. Procedimiento. A los efectos del otorgamiento o no de la medida, el Juez oirá al fiscal, al imputado y a la víctima, haya participado o no en el proceso, y resolverá, en la misma audiencia, o a más tardar, dentro de los tres días siguientes, salvo que el imputado estuviere privado de su libertad, en cuyo caso la decisión será dictada en un plazo no mayor de veinticuatro horas. La resolución fijará las condiciones bajo las cuales se suspende el proceso, y aprobará, negará o modificará la oferta de reparación presentada por el imputado, conforme a criterios de razonabilidad. En caso de existir oposición de la víctima y del Ministerio Público, el Juez deberá negar la petición. Esta decisión no tendrá apelación y se ordenará la apertura del juicio oral y público. La suspensión del proceso podrá solicitarse, en cualquier momento, luego de admitida la acusación presentada por el Ministerio Público y hasta antes de acordarse la apertura del juicio oral y público, o, en caso de procedimiento abreviado, una vez presentada la acusación y antes de la apertura del debate.

Artículo 44 . Condiciones. El Juez fijará el plazo del régimen de prueba, que no podrá ser inferior a un año ni superior a dos, y determinará las condiciones que deberá cumplir el imputado, entre las siguientes:
    1. Residir en un lugar determinado;
    2. Prohibición de visitar determinados lugares o personas;
    3. Abstenerse de consumir drogas o sustancias estupefacientes o psicotrópicas y de abusar de las bebidas alcohólicas;
    4. Participar en programas especiales de tratamiento, con el fin de abstenerse de consumir sustancias estupefacientes o psicotrópicas o bebidas alcohólicas;
    5. Comenzar o finalizar la escolaridad básica si no la tiene cumplida, aprender una profesión u oficio o seguir cursos de capacitación en el lugar o la institución que determine el Juez;
    6. Prestar servicios o labores a favor del Estado o instituciones de beneficio público;
    7. Someterse a tratamiento médico o psicológico;
    8. Permanecer en un trabajo o empleo, o adoptar, en el plazo que el tribunal determine, un oficio, arte o profesión, si no tiene medios propios de subsistencia;
    9. No poseer o portar armas;
    10. No conducir vehículos, si éste hubiere sido el medio de comisión del delito.
    A proposición del Ministerio Público, de la víctima o del imputado, el Juez podrá acordar otras condiciones de conducta similares, cuando estime que resulten convenientes.
    En todo caso, el imputado deberá cumplir con la oferta de reparación acordada por el Juez, y someterse a la vigilancia que determine éste.
    El régimen de prueba estará sujeto a control y vigilancia por parte del delegado de prueba que designe el Juez, y en ningún caso, el plazo fijado podrá exceder del término medio de la pena aplicable.

Artículo 45. Efectos. Finalizado el plazo o régimen de prueba, el Juez convocará a una audiencia, notificando de la realización de la misma al Ministerio Público, al imputado y a la víctima, y, luego de verificado el total y cabal cumplimiento de todas las obligaciones impuestas, decretará el sobreseimiento de la causa.

Artículo 46. Revocatoria. Si el imputado incumple en forma injustificada alguna de la condiciones que se le impusieron, o de la investigación que continúe realizando el Ministerio Público, surgen nuevos elementos de convicción que relacionen al imputado con otro u otros delitos, el Juez oirá al Ministerio Público, a la víctima y al imputado, y decidirá mediante auto razonado acerca de las siguientes posibilidades:
    1. La revocación de la medida de suspensión del proceso, y en consecuencia, la reanudación del mismo, procediendo a dictar la sentencia condenatoria, fundamentada en la admisión de los hechos efectuada por el imputado al momento de solicitar la medida;
    2. En lugar de la revocación, el Juez puede, por una sola vez, ampliar el plazo de prueba por un año más, previo informe del delegado de prueba y oída la opinión favorable del Ministerio Público y de la víctima.
    Si el imputado es procesado por la comisión de un nuevo hecho punible, el Juez, una vez admitida la acusación por el nuevo hecho, revocará la suspensión condicional del proceso y resolverá lo pertinente.
    En caso de revocatoria de la suspensión condicional del proceso, los pagos y prestaciones efectuados no serán restituidos.

Last edited:

melasa

That is incorrect. Please see the cited statues of the Venezuelan criminal procedure code below. I've underlined certain sections to highlight those that are the most pertinent to this thread.

Hopefully, you will be able to see how the two are interconnected and how you can connect suspención condicional del proceso and conformidad or acuerdo to get a translation for what you’re looking for.

The “deprivation of freedom,” can be at the arrest, throughout the proceedings, throughout the programs, at sentencing and after having served a determinate or indeterminate prison sentence. Forget the term libertad condicional for this context because it only applies to parole, as defined by countless statutes in Latin America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sección tercera

Artículo 42. Requisitos.
    En los casos de delitos leves, cuya pena no exceda de tres años en su límite máximo, el imputado podrá solicitar al Juez de control, o al Juez de juicio si se trata del procedimiento abreviado, la suspensión condicional del proceso, siempre que admita plenamente el hecho que se le atribuye, aceptando formalmente su responsabilidad en el mismo; se demuestre que ha tenido buena conducta predelictual y no se encuentre sujeto a esta medida por otro hecho. A tal efecto, el Tribunal Supremo de Justicia, a través del órgano del Poder Judicial que designe, llevará un registro automatizado de los ciudadanos a quienes les haya sido suspendido el proceso por otro hecho. La solicitud deberá contener una oferta de reparación del daño causado por el delito y el compromiso del imputado de someterse a las condiciones que le fueren impuestas por el tribunal conforme a lo dispuesto en el artículo 44 de este Código. La oferta podrá consistir en la conciliación con la víctima o en la reparación natural o simbólica del daño causado.

Artículo 43. Procedimiento. A los efectos del otorgamiento o no de la medida, el Juez oirá al fiscal, al imputado y a la víctima, haya participado o no en el proceso, y resolverá, en la misma audiencia, o a más tardar, dentro de los tres días siguientes, salvo que el imputado estuviere privado de su libertad, en cuyo caso la decisión será dictada en un plazo no mayor de veinticuatro horas. La resolución fijará las condiciones bajo las cuales se suspende el proceso, y aprobará, negará o modificará la oferta de reparación presentada por el imputado, conforme a criterios de razonabilidad. En caso de existir oposición de la víctima y del Ministerio Público, el Juez deberá negar la petición. Esta decisión no tendrá apelación y se ordenará la apertura del juicio oral y público. La suspensión del proceso podrá solicitarse, en cualquier momento, luego de admitida la acusación presentada por el Ministerio Público y hasta antes de acordarse la apertura del juicio oral y público, o, en caso de procedimiento abreviado, una vez presentada la acusación y antes de la apertura del debate.

Artículo 44 . Condiciones. El Juez fijará el plazo del régimen de prueba, que no podrá ser inferior a un año ni superior a dos, y determinará las condiciones que deberá cumplir el imputado, entre las siguientes:
    3. Abstenerse de consumir drogas o sustancias estupefacientes o psicotrópicas y de abusar de las bebidas alcohólicas;
    4. Participar en programas especiales de tratamiento, con el fin de abstenerse de consumir sustancias estupefacientes o psicotrópicas o bebidas alcohólicas;
    5. Comenzar o finalizar la escolaridad básica si no la tiene cumplida, aprender una profesión u oficio o seguir cursos de capacitación en el lugar o la institución que determine el Juez;
    6. Prestar servicios o labores a favor del Estado o instituciones de beneficio público;
    8. Permanecer en un trabajo o empleo, o adoptar, en el plazo que el tribunal determine, un oficio, arte o profesión, si no tiene medios propios de subsistencia;
    10. No conducir vehículos, si éste hubiere sido el medio de comisión del delito.
    A proposición del Ministerio Público, de la víctima o del imputado, el Juez podrá acordar otras condiciones de conducta similares, cuando estime que resulten convenientes.
    En todo caso, el imputado deberá cumplir con la oferta de reparación acordada por el Juez, y someterse a la vigilancia que determine éste.
    El régimen de prueba estará sujeto a control y vigilancia por parte del delegado de prueba que designe el Juez, y en ningún caso, el plazo fijado podrá exceder del término medio de la pena aplicable.

Artículo 45. Efectos. Finalizado el plazo o régimen de prueba, el Juez convocará a una audiencia, notificando de la realización de la misma al Ministerio Público, al imputado y a la víctima, y, luego de verificado el total y cabal cumplimiento de todas las obligaciones impuestas, decretará el sobreseimiento de la causa.

Artículo 46. Revocatoria. Si el imputado incumple en forma injustificada alguna de la condiciones que se le impusieron, o de la investigación que continúe realizando el Ministerio Público, surgen nuevos elementos de convicción que relacionen al imputado con otro u otros delitos, el Juez oirá al Ministerio Público, a la víctima y al imputado, y decidirá mediante auto razonado acerca de las siguientes posibilidades:
    1. La revocación de la medida de suspensión del proceso, y en consecuencia, la reanudación del mismo, procediendo a dictar la sentencia condenatoria, fundamentada en la admisión de los hechos efectuada por el imputado al momento de solicitar la medida;
    2. En lugar de la revocación, el Juez puede, por una sola vez, ampliar el plazo de prueba por un año más, previo informe del delegado de prueba y oída la opinión favorable del Ministerio Público y de la víctima.
    Si el imputado es procesado por la comisión de un nuevo hecho punible, el Juez, una vez admitida la acusación por el nuevo hecho, revocará la suspensión condicional del proceso y resolverá lo pertinente.
    En caso de revocatoria de la suspensión condicional del proceso, los pagos y prestaciones efectuados no serán restituidos.
    I’ll review everything.

melasa

That is incorrect. Please see the cited statutes of the Venezuelan criminal procedure code below. I've underlined certain sections to highlight those that are the most pertinent to this thread.

Sección tercera

Artículo 42. Requisitos.

Yes, indeed, this seems like the Venezuelan equivalent of a pre-trial diversion agreement… There are analogous similarities. For a pre-trial diversion agreement, in Washington state, that legislation for this criminal punishment is to allow an opportunity to divert from the typical criminal punishment.
    However, by that rationale, a pre-trial diversion agreement, a deferred prosecution, and a deferred sentence, and deferred adjudication share a lot of similar semantical effects.
    They are all a “ Suspensión condicional del proceso“
    However, in the state of Washington, United States… Lawyers would delineate the different nuances between one and the other, to establish the differences that a defendant can take advantage of particular deals, with more focus on avoiding the typical criminal process, with certain better deals from the prosecution, diverting a deferred prosecution, perhaps into a pre-trial diversion agreement… It becomes very semantical, and the essence of Washington state Criminal Court Law would have to be expressed, as well...
    It is true, a lot of these deals seem the same… A lot of them require you to plead guilty for something, while being on a probationary period while not violating conditions. But, there are some deals, Which don’t require you to plead guilty to something ... I am going to need some legal minds refresh my memory on which ones do and don’t… But there are some slight nuances in Washington state law… This is an excellent equivalent… But, the essence of Washington state law also has to be conveyed as well… There’s a lot to unpack here… I need to keep thinking about this...But basically, I’ve seen a case where the defendant was in violation of the pre-trial diversion agreement, and jail time was imposed… So provisionally, their liberty was at stake during the conditions, because they agreed to enter a pre-trial diversion agreement, Knowing well, if they violate it, they can serve jail time or the equivalent, such as electronic home monitoring , or be given credit for time served....
    And, for a pre-trial diversion agreement, I don’t think they plead guilty to anything, and are given a chance to divert a criminal penalty… In contrast to a deferred prosecution, where a guilty plea to a lesser charge has to be put on record, and if they violate any of the conditions, sanctions can be imposed, and the judge will read the original police report to make their decision… There are similarities, but there are also differences too, Between Venezuelan and Washington state criminal law deals. I think a big part is whether you have to plead guilty or not do something as part of the deal, to get the case dismissed to a lesser charge, or not plead guilty to something to get that case entirely dismissed. I have to review pleading deals for all of the types of pleadings in Washington states to give you a better definitive response.
    I believe the key element here in Washington state law, as pleading to a lesser charge to get the case dismissed with a lesser charge showing up in the defendants record. Or pleading guilty to a deal To follow conditions, and a successful completion, the whole case gets dismissed, hence diverting the case from the typical criminal procedure, hence a pre-trial diversion agreement.

Last edited:

melasa

Please see The thread stipulated order of continuance that I posted. SOC. It’s also known as a pre-trial diversion agreement. I think the lawyer from the United States gives accurate nuances on how state law out here works. It’s similar to Venezuela, but has some differences. I don’t know how to attach a link, Sorry.
    We do not use the term deferred ajudication in Washington state.
    In Washington state, the common deals are: A stipulated order of continuance,(SOC) a.k.a. pre-trial diversion agreement, A deferred prosecution, A suspended sentence, these are several I could remember at this moment, but all revolve around if you have to plead guilty to a lesser charge, or to stipulations whether the judge will go back and read the police report if you are in violation of the probationary period, and which deals get the charges completely dismissed, or get the charge dismissed to a lesser charge, and what you have to plead guilty to etc.…So, una suspensión condicional del proceso does not encompass all of these details of the deals, but yet it is analogous as to the suspended process to see if the defendant can comply with terms and conditions, Facing sanctions if in violation,

melasa

Now, I will compare and contrast Venezuelan deal with this. It is analogous,BUT, Una suspensión condicional del proceso, does not capture all of the unique nuances of the specific kind of deal in Washington state.
    I am moving away from utilizing the libertad provisional part from the translation.
    However, una suspensión condicional del proceso wouldn’t be a one size fits all solution to convey the meaning of a pre-trial diversion agreement, a.k.a., specifically known as a stipulated order of continuance.

La suspensión condicional del proceso would be a good translation as a one size fits all approach to encompass several different plea deals in Washington state. But, it would only focus on the meaning that the defendant is given a chance to get the case dismissed during a period of suspended time.

Plea deals in WA, acuerdos declaratorios, all have nuances to specific cases, in specific deals, and to which category of specific cases fall into the specific deals, as you notice from the attachment… It’s a little more complicated then just saying the criminal process is suspended.
    La suspensión condicional del proceso could encompass:

Whether it’s a not guilty plea to an SOC

Whether it’s a deferred prosecution With a guilty plea to a lesser charge

Whether it’s a deferred sentence

Eventually, after I carefully read both deals for Venezuelan and Washington state, I will brainstorm a list of possible translations

This is what I meant when I said that the concept of a pre-trial diversion agreement, doesn’t necessarily exist in other Spanish-speaking countries, because our legislature crafts deals unique and specific to the state of Washington, but not ENTIRELY analogous to the Venezuelan equivalent.

Therefore, you can’t just directly use the Venezuelan equivalent, assuming that it encompasses the nuances of this deal in Washington state.

The essence of a stipulated order of continuance has to be conveyed in the meaning of the Translation, so it would be a marriage of both when assembling an accurate and meaningful translation.

For an SOC, generally, the defendant does not plead guilty to something, but agrees that if they’re in violation of the terms and conditions, that the judge can strictly use the police reports as evidence for determining his innocence or guilt. That is a key part of this agreement. It’s not just a continuance for a decision. That is too rudimentary.

As you see in one of the sections, the defendant has to give up a number of rights to accept this deal. It is a diversion from the typical deferred prosecution, which has more strict penal consequences; hence getting a case dismissed, but to a lesser charge, a criminal charge, that could remain on the defendants record. A Stipulated order of continuance gives a defendant an opportunity to get the entire case dismissed, not to a lesser criminal charge that would remain on his record. This is the take away to the diversion element, unlike a deferred prosecution.

It would be very helpful if you can help me brainstorm a list to pick and choose from, and to start to narrow down which are the best options.

Thanks

Last edited:

melasa

Actually, I think I was on the right track, and we are all on the right track. It “is” una suspensión condicional del proceso”, It is highlighted by the agreement with the prosecution.
    I was wrong, it is not also known as a stipulated order of continuance, but is SIMILAR to one, if you read my picture below.

So, brainstorming:
    1)“Un acuerdo con la fiscalía y suspensión de la acción penal”
    2)“Conformidad condicional con la fiscalía”
    3)“Negociación con la fiscalía de una suspensión del proceso”
    4)“Un acuerdo declaratorio a una suspensión condicional del proceso”
    5) Just: suspensión condicional del proceso
    AGREEMENT WITH PROSECUTION seems key to interpreting this “WA State deal”, which has some similarities to Venezuela.
    Etc ...etc...

BAF8CC22-A345-4EEB-B206-C9977D34DF65.png

< Previous | Next >