Preceding/succeeding

Andrej.Ilic

Serbian
Hello,

English is not my native language. I use it for many years but still don't make the best choice of words.

I'm programming a calculator which helps to determine the best car ramp setup. I need to define the name of a parameter. I don't want to confuse users or rely on the parameter explanations which may or may not be read. I wan't the name to be short and unambiguously show the purpose of the parameter.

Here is a short description of the component. This ramp origin is a level. The ramp may be ascending or descending. It may have transitions. The calculation of the transition slopes is based on the ramp slope and all the slopes that are surrounding the ramp. Two parameters should describe the surrounding slopes. The first one refers to the slope that is next to the one side of the ramp (the origin), while the second one refers to the slope next to the other side of the ramp (this side may be the upper or the lower end- depending on whether the ramp is ascending or descending).

I want to know what would be the best names of those two parameters. One of the things that crossed my mind is something like:

Preceding Slope
Succeeding Slope

But I googled, learned about the meaning behind those words and I'm not sure if it would be in the spirit of the English language. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I don't think you mean "slope", I think you mean "angle".

A car ramp is not a definitive term - there are several types: do you mean this type?

Andrej.Ilic

Serbian
    I don't think you mean "slope", I think you mean "angle".

A car ramp is not a definitive term - there are several types: do you mean this type?

It can be calculated by using angles or slopes. The question is about naming the surrounding slopes. I don't have to elaborate about the ramp here.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If you would like accurate answers to your question, it would be helpful for you to “elaborate about the ramp” sufficiently for us to understand what type of ramp you’re referring to. We can help you better if we know what you’re talking about.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It can be calculated by using angles or slopes
    What is "it"?
    The question is about naming the surrounding slopes.
    Despite your description, the nature of these "slopes" is unclear. Do you mean "abstract plane which are at variable angles" or do you mean "a gradient"?
    I don't have to elaborate about the ramp here.
    See Florentina's comment above.

At the moment, we do not have a clear idea of the object.

< Previous | Next >