Predecessor(s) of Vedic Sanskrit

libertyresreve

Serbian
Hi all,
i am doing some research in late time, since i got some new discoveries and wondering if anyone know to point me in some direction,

Language before Sanskrit (Rigveda)

Thank you

• Au101

England, English (UK)
    Your question is quite unclear? Please could you clarify what you are asking?

The language of the Vedas is called Vedic or Vedic Sanskrit.

If you're interested in some of the history of the language, I quite enjoyed this paper Vedic, Sanskrit, and Prakrit on JSTOR

If you're interested in learning the language A A Macdonell's Vedic Grammar is very good Vedic grammar

It is, however, old-fashioned (but then everything is when it comes to Sanskrit) and the language and style is not simple

libertyresreve

Serbian
    Thank you for fast response, second link is quite good..

I want to ask if someone know the language that is before Vedic Sanskrit?

libertyresreve

Serbian
    ok, can i try to write here some opinions about that, that is or maybe isn't true, also want to hear opinions from other people and people from that region

Au101

England, English (UK)
    Maybe you mean "everything that is available for free on the internet".

Hehe well maybe I'm being a bit facetious :p

But although my assigned textbook in my first year when I did my degree a few years ago was Madhav Deshpande's Saṃskṛtasubodhinī, we all still used Monier-Williams dictionary (1899), we were all referred to Whitney's Sanskrit Grammar (1879) and in the second year my assigned books were A. F. Stenzler's Primer of the Sanskrit Language (1868) and Charles Rockwell "River" Lanman's A Sanskrit Reader (1912).

So I wasn't just joking :p

libertyresreve

Serbian
    i find many words and grammar sentences same as sanskrit and serbian, so maybe tamil is pre sanskrit, to check that?

this words are untranslatable from serbian to english:
    so i wanted to check how to say them on sanskrit, if that word exist there at all:
    Promaja, inat, doček

maybe with few different letters??

Stoggler

UK English
    i find many words and grammar sentences same as sanskrit and serbian, so maybe tamil is pre sanskrit, to check that?

How do you get to Tamil from Sanskrit and Serbian? Makes no sense.

this words are untranslatable from serbian to english:
    so i wanted to check how to say them on sanskrit, if that word exist there at all:
    Promaja, inat, doček

maybe with few different letters??

Those three words can be translated into English words - there’s nothing obscure or unusual about them. Why do you think they’re untranslatable?