Predicative Clause:when

CZY

Chinese
the question is: The NBA semifinal was really good.The best moment was ,as the media reported ,___LeBron James scored the winning three points.
the given answer is ''when".I doubt whether I can use "that" here.

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    "The NBA semifinal was really good. The best moment was, as the media reported, ___ LeBron James scored the winning three points."
    The corrrect answer is ''when". My question is whether I can use "that" here.
    Hi CZY! How do you do? Welcome to the forum. Which one do you think is better "when" or "that"? Why do you think "that" can work in the sentence?

chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    I'm not positive but I think if 'that' were to be added in this sentence, it would have to come right after 'was'.
    1. The best moment was that, as the media reported, when LeBron James scored...' :tick:
    2. The best moment was, as the media reported, that when LeBron James scored...' :cross:
    3. The best moment was, as the media reported, when LeBron James scored...' :tick:
    4. The best moment was, as the media reported, that LeBron James scored...' :cross:

I need confirmation about number (2), please roxcyn. :)

Smauler

British English
    "The best moment was as the media reported that LeBron James scored."

This works too, but focuses on the media. It's a convoluted sentence, gives a different meaning, and probably should never be used.

"The best moment was when LeBron James scored, as the media reported"

That gives the meaning of the original, with no ambiguity.

Einstein

UK, English
    We can't say "the best moment was that when...", but we can say "the best moment was the one when...". However, a simple "when" is better.

chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    We can't say "the best moment was that when...", but we can say "the best moment was the one when...". However, a simple "when" is better.
    Thank you Einstein:)
    I think I see things clearly now. While (1) is correct, (2) is not.
    1. The best part was that when I got home, he'd left me a note on the fridge saying how much he missed me! :tick:
    2. The best part was that when he got back home after being away for 2 years. :cross:

chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    I think that's correct, chfattouma.

However, in spoken, and probably incorrect English, some people will leave out the "that" from (1) too.
    Hi Smauler :)
    I agree that the conjuction 'that' is optional in (1) but leaving it out doesn't make it ungrammatical.

< Previous | Next >