Preference? Agree with negative statement - either / neither

fortifier

Persian
A: I didn't like the movie.
B: Me neither. / Neither did I. / I didn't either. / Me either. / Nor did I.

I assume all the above versions are correct and have the same meaning; could you kindly sort these answers based on your preference and how frequently you use them? I need from both American and British speakers' opinions. And please add any other similar versions possible.

Thanks in advance

• london calling

UK English
    Me either to my British ears is incorrect, but I am sure I have heard it said in the US (although I imagine many Americans would consider it incorrect too).

My personal preferences (I think!:D I would have to hear myself speak in order to give you a more accurate answer).;)

Neither did I.
    Nor did I.
    I didn't either.
    Me neither.

Last edited:

Silver_Biscuit

English - UK
    I'm a native speaker of British English (from South West England) and I would prefer 'Me neither'. 'Me either' sounds wrong to me as well, but I wouldn't rule it out for all dialects. In order of preference (I think - often our own perception of how we actually talk is quite flawed):

Me neither (clear favourite for me - I'm almost certain I would use this one automatically. Yes, it's of an informal register, though)
    Neither did I.
    Nor did I.
    I didn't either.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I'm also a native speaker of British English from South West England. (Small world, our Silv!:))

I'm pretty sure my order would be:
    1: Neither did I / Nor did I / I didn't either (in no particular order; I say them all).
    2: Me neither (much less often).

"Me either" just isn't in my vocabulary.

I think the reason for my rarely saying "Me neither" is that I pronounce the ei of neither like the i in five, not like the ee in beef. Somehow "me neither" only works, to my ear, if it's pronounced with an ee sound.

Ws:)

Silver_Biscuit

English - UK
    I think the reason for my rarely saying "Me neither" is that I pronounce the ei of neither like the i in five, not like the ee in beef. Somehow "me neither" only works, to my ear, if it's pronounced with an ee sound.

Ws:)
    I agree with you that the pronunciation makes a big difference to 'me neither'. It just doesn't sound right the other way. Conversely, I think that 'Neither did I' sounds better with the five pronunciation. I'm almost certain that my pronunciation of 'neither' is all over the place, though! I don't have a clear preference between the ee/eye options.

london calling

UK English
    I'm from London. I see that WS has the same preferences as I do.:) I think the reason why (in my case) that 'me neither' ended up at the bottom of my list is because it was drummed into me as a child that it was incorrect, so I never really got into the habit of using it.

< Previous | Next >