pregnant

AndrasBP

Hungarian
The most common Hungarian word for 'pregnant' is terhes, which derives from the noun teher, meaning load or burden. Because of its perceived negative connotation, some people try to avoid terhes and use várandós instead, which comes from the verb 'vár' - wait, so the literal meaning is "expecting", which many say is 'nicer and more positive'.
I find it quite amazing that one of the Georgian words for 'pregnant' is 'ორსული' /orsuli/, which is a compound of 'ორი' /ori - two/ and 'სული' /suli - soul/, so literally it means 'two-souled'.:)

What about your (native or foreign) language(s)?

• franzjekill

Mod E/S
    Español rioplatense
    Because of its perceived negative connotation, some people try to avoid terhes and use várandós instead
    Talking about women, we would avoid the word preñada and use embarazada, encinta, esperando familia instead. Grávida may be more a medical term, I guess. Esperando la cigüeña is the most childish way to say it (waiting for the stork (from Paris) to deliver the baby).

Dymn

Spanish:
    embarazada: en- + Portuguese or Leonese baraço "twine, noose" + -ada (p.p. ending)
    preñada (slang): Latin prae- "before" + gnata "~ born"
    encinta (old-fashioned): Latin in- + cincta "surrounded, girded"
    grávida (medical, rare): related to Latin gravis "heavy, burdened"

Greek:

The generic term is «έγκυος» [ˈeɲɟi.os] (fem.) < Classical fem. noun «ἐγκύμων» ĕŋgúmōn & «ἔγκυος» éŋguŏs --> pregnant < prefix & preposition «ἐν» ĕn + deverbative 3rd declension neuter noun «κύος» kúŏs (nom. sing.), «κύεος» kúĕŏs (gen. sing.) --> fœtus, embryo < Classical v. «κυέω» kŭéō & «κύω» kúô --> to be, or become pregnant (PIE *ḱeu̯h₁- to swell cf Skt. श्वयति (śvayati), to increase, swell, Lat. cumulus).

Οthers:
    -«Εγκυμονούσα» [eɲɟimoˈnusa] (fem.) < Koine fem. deverbative Present participle «ἐγκυμονοῦσα» ĕŋgŭmŏnoûsă --> to be with embryo < Κoine v. «ἐγκυμονέω/ἐγκυμονῶ» ĕŋgŭmŏnéō (uncontracted)/ĕŋgŭmŏnô (contracted) --> to become pregnant < «ἐν» ĕn + «κῦμα» kûmă (neut.) alt. form of «κύος» kúŏs (neut.).
    -«Γκαστρωμένη» [ŋgastroˈmeni] (fem.) aphetic of Byz. Gr. mediopassive Perfect participle «ἐγγαστρωμένη» eŋgastrōménē < «ἐν» ĕn + Classical 3rd declension fem. noun «γαστήρ» găstḗr (nom. sing.), «γαστρός/γαστέρος» găstrós & găstérŏs (gen. sing.) --> belly, paunch, womb (of uncertain etymology).
    «Γκαστρωμένη» is colloquial language, almost slang in MoGr --> knocked-up.
    -«Σε ενδιαφέρουσα κατάσταση» [se enði.aˈfeɾusa kaˈtastasi] --> (I'm/she's) in an interesting state/situation (often a simple «σε ενδιαφέρουσα» suffices). A euphemism of being pregnant.
    -«Κυοφορούσα» [ci.ofoˈɾusa] (fem) --> fœtus bearer (used mostly for animals) < Koine mediopassive Present participle «κυοφοροῦσα» kŭŏpʰŏroûsă < deverbative 3rd declension neuter noun «κύος» kúŏs + Classical v. «φέρω» pʰérō.

Edit: Added term for animals (triggered by Sardokan's post below)

Last edited:

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Sardinian :

• north : ráida (from grávida -> gráida -> ráida)
    • south : pringia, prinza (from "pregna")

The adjective ráida it's used only when speaking about women, instead speaking about animals the adjective used is "prossima".

Examples :
    • Cussa femina est ráida manna = That woman is in advanced pregnancy
    • Sas bervéghes sun prossimas = The sheeps are pregnant

Also the verb used to translate "to give birth" is different if speaking about women or animals.

• women : illiberare, illierare, ilierare (northern Sardinian, I don't know in the south)
    • animals : anzare

Examples :
    • Cussa femina s'est ilierada héris sero = That woman gave birth yesterday evening.
    • Sas bervéghes han anzadu héris manzanu = The sheeps gave birth yesterday morning.

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:

raskas "heavy", only used in essive and translative case when it means pregnant: olla raskaana "to be pregnant", tulla raskaaksi "to become pregnant"
    odottava "expecting"
    paksu "thick" (colloquial), this too is used only in essive and translative when it means pregnant

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese, the most common word is grávida, but prenhe/prenha is also sometimes used (although it usually refers to animals), and apparently they also use embuchada (from bucho, "belly, crop, craw, maw", in the Northeast of Brazil if Brazilian telenovelas are to be trusted. I've also heard someone está de barriguinha (has a little belly) and está esperando nenê (is expecting a baby), and I've encountered embaraçada once or twice, but only in old books.

Frieder

In German it's schwanger (pregnant) and Schwangerschaft (pegnancy) which (according to Kluge) etymoligically derives from westgerm. *swangra- "heavy, cumbersome".

It is the most neutral expression.

The more poetical and/or euphemistic expression is "sie ist guter Hoffnung" (lit.:"she is of good hope").
    A more profane expression is "sie hat ein Brot im Ofen" (lit.:"she has a bread in the oven").

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Arabic:
    حامل: literally “carrying” (participle)
    حبلى: not sure what the etymology is

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Cymraeg/Welsh

beichiog
    'burdened', 'laden' (noun: 'baich')
    llawn 'full' (cf. Lat. plenus)
    yn cario 'carrying'
    yn disgwyl 'waiting', 'expectant'
    trom 'heavy (fem.)'
    braisg 'large', 'broad'

Expressions for 'she's pregnant'

mae hi'n disgwyl 'she's waiting/expecting'
    mae hi dan ei gofal 'she's under her care'
    mae hi'n symgar 'she's fleshy/bulky'
    mae hi'n magu mân esgyrn 'she's rearing/breeding small bones'
    mae hi'n dorrog 'she's "belly-ish" ' (Usually of animals, could be insulting of a human female)
    mae ganddi hi gig yn y popty 'she's got meat in the oven' (cf. English ... 'a bun in the oven')
    mae hi wedi cael clec 'she's had a bang'
    mae swm mawr arni 'she owes a lot of money'
    mae hi wedi llyncu corryn 'she's swallowed a spider'

Yendred

Français - France
    French:

enceinte /ɑ̃.sɛ̃t/ (feminine adjective)
    From Latin incincta, literally "surrounded by a belt".

enceinte is also a noun, which means wall or enclosure.

Cognate with:
    Spanish:
    encinta (old-fashioned): Latin in- + cincta "surrounded, girded"

Last edited:

Trisia

Romanian
    Romanian:

însărcinată - from sarcină = load, burden. It hasn't really got a negative connotation as far as I can see.
    gravidă - medical term but commonly used. In recent years I've noted a preference for the diminutive form "graviduță", which sounds silly
    borțoasă - with a large belly (borț = the belly of a pregnant woman, origin unknown). It sounds vulgar and disrespectful.

Common descriptions/expressions:
    cu burta mare = having a large belly. Pretty rude.
    cu burta la gură = with her belly [reaching all the way up] to her mouth. Very rude.

viitoare mămică = future mommy. Used to avoid any of the above.
    a rămâne grea = to become heavy (though otherwise "a rămâne" = to remain, to stay, to not change)

Uncommon ones:
    burduhănoasă = with a huge belly. Augmentative adjectival form of burduf (bellows, wineskin) -» burduhan/burdihan = the stomach of a ruminant. This one can be used for anyone large-bellied, not necessarily due to pregnancy. You can find it (in Masc. form) in old folk tales, describing the mean old rich man that tries to marry the young peasant girl or otherwise oppress serfs.

about the father:
    i-a adăugit pântecele = added [to] her belly
    a lăsa cu burta la gură = to leave [a woman] with her belly to her mouth.

Last edited:

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    For @Yendred - a true story.

My uncle, my aunt and my cousin were once invited to souper with a very French, country family, located in a small commune just north of Albi. After a wonderful meal taken from their own farm produce, the hosts asked them if they wanted anything more.

Obviously, much of the conversation up to that point had been through much sign language, gestures and guessing. My family's français was fairly limited; the French family's English fairly non-existent.

So, my uncle decided that in his own interests that he was replete with all the good food and wine that he had consumed that night, he would be on safe grounds to say that, "I am full". Little did he realise the trap he was laying for himself when he informed the (subsequently chortling) French family, "Je suis plein".

This story has done the rounds in our family (and probably the French family, too) ever since it was first uttered in the summer of 1980. (And, yes, we do know the significance by now ...)

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    I might have misinterpreted the first - although it does mean that, too. Perhaps a better (literal) translation is, 'There's a big bulk on her' - not very elegant, however you read it!

But the second one, is a current one in South Wales - not least as us northerners use another term for 'a spider' in any case. (Why a spider? I have no idea!)

Yendred

Français - France
    Little did he realise the trap he was laying for himself when he informed the (subsequently chortling) French family, "Je suis plein".
    :D :thumbsup:
    Do you know that to convey the idea that we are replete with food, today we French would colloquially use the anglicism: "je suis full" o_O

mae hi wedi llyncu corryn 'she's swallowed a spider'
    In the same vein, a colorful (and rather vulgar) French expression for "she's pregnant" is:
    Elle a un polichinelle dans le tiroir.
    (literally: she has a pulchinello in the drawer)

Last edited:

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    Catalan:

prenyada -- The most common one. Unlike the Spanish preñada, it is not regarded as an avoidable word.

prenys -- A variant of the same origin, now literary, but the most common in Old Catalan literature.

embarassada -- Commonly heard these days but not in the past. The present high frequency must be due to influence from Spanish.

encinta -- Cognate to Spanish encinta and French enceinte. Seen as formal.

gràvida -- Cognate to the other Romance languages. Seen as a formal or medical term.

en estat or en estat interessant "in (interesting) state" -- Idiom, equivalent to 'expecting'.

alfaalfa

italiano
    Ciao,
    so many false friends in this thread.
    Sono pieno> I'm full. I've done with the food.
    Sono imbarazzata> I'm embarrassed . We Italians are aware not to use the word "imbarazzata" talking with Spanish speakers.
    pregnante> full of meaning; significant or suggestive

Female animals: gravida (incinta too)
    Women: incinta (gravida too, in medical jargon)
    In (stato di) gravidanza> pregnancy
    In stato interessante
    In attesa
    > waiting.
    In dolce attesa> sweet waiting
    Sta aspettando un bambino/bebè> she's waiting for a ...
    Avere il pancione > pregnant belly

Azarosa

Español (rioplatense)
    Tenemos en español "está en la dulce espera"...pero la verdad es que suena algo mojigato, típico de las pacatas revistas femeninas, que le quieren dar al estado un aura de romanticismo o idealismo que no tiene.

Demiurg

German
    In German it's schwanger (pregnant) and Schwangerschaft (pegnancy) which (according to Kluge) etymoligically derives from westgerm. *swangra- "heavy, cumbersome".
    Arabic:
    حامل: literally “carrying” (participle)

There's also "trächtig" in German, related to "tragen" (to carry), but it's only used for animals. (It's very derogatory if used for pregnant women.)

amikama

a mi modo
    עברית
    Hebrew:

הרה - lit. "pregnant"
    בהיריון - lit. "in pregnancy"

Also מעוברת (of the same root as עובר = fetus), but it's more literary.