Prendere in parola

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by anastasia beaverhousen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. anastasia beaverhousen New Member

America, english
    Ciao tutti

Vorrei il traduzione della frase 'ti prendo in parola'...Penso che si tradurre in inglese..'I'll take your word for it'...Pero non sono sicura.

Grazie
    ana

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Take your word for it
    Ti prendo in parola,
    ti credo

Ciao

3. giorgioloi Member

Svizzera, Italiano
    Hi everybody.
    What is the English phrase that better translates the Italian expression in the subject?

Sentences like:

- Va bene, ti prendo in parola!
    or

how can be adequately translated?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  4. underhouse Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Io direi

I will (I'll) take your word for it!

5. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    It could be: Ok, I'll take your word for it!

Ciao
    Leo:)

p.s. Ok Underhouse as you beat me to it and it's obviously fine, :) I will add a very common/regional (perhaps) saying: Ok, I believe you, thousands wouldn't! (used in the right context of course.)

6. M_07 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
  7. giorgioloi Member

Svizzera, Italiano
    Scusa, ma consideravo le due espressioni abbastanza equivalenti, nell'accezione che intendevo io, quindi le ho raggruppate in un'unica domanda.
    Grazie per le correzioni... ho scritto in fretta. ;)

8. giorgioloi Member

Svizzera, Italiano
    Thanks everybody! :)

9. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    Italian, Neapolitan
    Isn't there a slight difference between ti prendo in parola and I'll take your word for it?

I think I'll take your word for it is used in a more general way to say merely that you believe what someone is saying, whereas ti prendo in parola (at least the way I use it, but Devoto Oli seems to confirm it) is used in a more limited context, i.e. to say that you expect someone to fulfill a promise, a commitment etc:

ti prendo in parola, cioè 'mi attendo il compimento di quanto prometti'
    (Devoto Oli)

PS The Oxford Paravia dictionary differentiaties between credere sulla parola and prendere in parola as follows:

credere a qcn. sulla parola to take sb.’s word for it; prendere qcn. in parola to take sb. at his word

However according to the Cambridge Dictionary the two English expressions are synonymous:

take sb at their word (ALSO take sb's word for it)
    to believe that what someone says is true

Can they both be used to say that you expect someone to keep his word, fulfill a commitment etc?

10. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Maybe:
    I'll take you at your word.

11. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    Italian, Neapolitan
    Thanks, Leo:)

So there is a difference between I'll take your word for it and I'll take you at your word, although the Cambridge Dictionary suggests they're synonymous? (You probably didn't see my edit to my post, as we were writing at the same time)

12. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Well, I'm sure there is, but I'll have to make up something quickly.
    If someone just tells me something in conversation and I'm not sure if it is a fact, but they assure me it is, then I might say, "o.k. I'll take your word for it." (I believe you are telling me the truth)

This sums it up better than I did:
    take someone’s word (for it) = believe what someone says or writes without checking for oneself
    take someone at their word = assume that a person is speaking honestly or sincerely

Ciao