Preposition: ... <in, at> <the> hospital? [works in / at]

smiling

Italian
As thread title...<< --- Preposition: ... <in, at> <the> hospital? [works in / at] --- >>

<< --- Which preposition should I use in the following eg. 'He works in/at the hospital'? --- >>
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • se16teddy

English - England
    I don't think Hockey's is the only possible example of working in the hospital.
    I work in the hospital = my work is performed in the hospital building.
    I work at the hospital = my work is in or around the hospital (perceived as an institution as well as a building).
    Thus a hospital gardener works at the hospital but not really in the hospital (because the work is not within the building).

toryglory77

Russian, French
    I work at the hospital.

I would not be overly shocked if anyone ever told me that they work in the hospital if they don't work for the hospital, but for another company that has its offices set up in the hospital...for instance an orthopedist's office.

Hi everybody,

I wonder if one could say "My sister's a nurse. She works in/at a hospital" ?
    The meaning I'd like to express is that "she is a hospital nurse and not a school/ a freelance / or whatever nurse. Her place of work is a hospital.

Would that be correct or one should use the definite article "the" and then say "My sister's a nurse. She works in/at the hospital" ?

thanks in advance.

Dunaiii

Polish - Poland
    I browsed the forum and didn't find the answer.

I mean BEING BORN ______ the hospital.

Which one is correct, "to be born AT the hospital" or "to be born IN the hospital"?

Copyright

American English
    What is your sentence and context? As you can see from the thread, both can be used depending on the circumstances.

And I imagine it's "a hospital," if you're speaking generally.

Dunaiii

Polish - Poland
    Um, I meant preposition, too.

He was born in/at (the/a) hospital.

I didn't know there could be different contexts. I meant just stating where one was born. I find it hard to determine the context as in Polish there is only one version ("in" and no article).

If there are more possibilities than "he was born in the/a hospital" (where, as I assume, "the" means a specific hospital and "a" some hospital), then could you, please, list them?

Copyright

American English
    He was born in a hospital. (Rather than at home or anywhere else.)
    He was born in the hospital. (The only hospital around, the one we all think of when we talk about the hospital, the only one in town, the one everyone goes to.)

Those are the big two – indefinite and definite.

Edit: Changing "at the hospital" to "in the hospital."

Last edited:

Dunaiii

Polish - Poland
    Wow, I didn't know it is that complex.

OK, so either "in a" or "at the"--does that mean "in the" and "at a" would be incorrect?

Copyright

American English
    I work at the hospital. (I work at the hospital that we're all familiar with.)
    I work at a hospital. (But I'm not going to tell you which one.) :)

I'm very sorry ... I made a mistake with "at the hospital" in my second example in post 18. I've corrected it now.

Copyright

American English
    Here is a summary:

He was born in a hospital. (Rather than at home or anywhere else.)
    He was born in the hospital. (The only hospital around, the one we all think of when we talk about the hospital, the only one in town, the one everyone goes to.)

I work at the hospital. (I work at the hospital that we're all familiar with.)
    I work at a hospital. (But I'm not going to tell you which one.) :)

nh01

Turkish
    What about a company giving service in/at a hospital?

Does it mean that that company works at this hospital? So, should I say "The company gives service at this hospital." ? Thanks in advance.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm having difficulty understanding. What exactly do you mean by a company that "gives service" in some way for a hospital?

Do they deliver something, or provide staff, or do they provide some kind of service within the hospital itself?

nh01

Turkish
    Do they deliver something, or provide staff, or do they provide some kind of service within the hospital itself?

Thank you for your interest. It may be both. Can't we make the same sentence for both situations? But I think you want to say that the preposition we will use depends on the situation. Should we use "in" if they deliver something but "at" if they provide within the hospital? Thanks.

nh01

Turkish
    "The company gives service at this hospital."

I won't say that the company works but I want to mean this. I wanted to learn whether to use the quoted sentence above or not. My question was actually about giving service at/in the hospital.

Loob

English UK
    The problem we have is that "give service" doesn't actually mean anything.

We need something more specific to be able to say what preposition we'd use.

For example:
    The company delivers food to the hospital.
    The company provides cleaning services to the hospital.
    The company handles security at the hospital.

nh01

Turkish
    The problem we have is that "give service" doesn't actually mean anything.

Does it apply to "offer/provide/render service" or "serve" alone too?

I mean can we generally say that "it will + (the verbs above) in/at/for the hospital" and then can we list the services?

Loob

English UK
    You say you can list the services.

That's what we're asking you for, nh01. We're asking you to tell us what services you're talking about.

The preposition you want will depend on the terms you use to describe the service.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    I am teaching my students to perform their personal presentations, and I taught them this model, but now I am not sure if I am correct:

Good afternoon. My name is ___. I am a doctor and I work at CAYETANO's hospital.
    Good evening everybody. I am Carlos Perez and I work at INTERBANK.
    Good morning. I'm Juan Alfonso Reyes. I am a civil engineer and I work at MINERAS DEL SUR Company.

One of my students asked me if he could say: I work in CAYETANO's hospital. I explained to him that in this context is "at" because you are mentioning the name of your company or hospital. But you say "in" if you say for example : "I work in my hospital"(familiar)
    I explained this, because it was from an internet source. I have also noticed today that in an exercise from MyELT.heinle.com there is a dialogue in which I read this:
    Lin: That's interesting. My boyfriend is a scientist. He works at a hospital.(in general)
    This sentence gave me confusion because I taught that in the other context "at" was just when you say the name of your company.
    Thanks for your advice :b

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    I work at Cayetano(‘s?) hospital would be more usual.
    You are here talking about participating in the life of an institution (at) and not about being inside or outside a building (in).
    Is Cayetano a place, or the name of the founder, or does the name of the hospital honour a person? These factors will help us to advise whether to call it Cayetano Hospital or Cayetano’s hospital.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    I work at Cayetano(‘s?) hospital would be more usual.
    You are here talking about participating in the life of an institution (at) and not about being inside or outside a building (in).
    Is Cayetano a place, or the name of the founder, or does the name of the hospital honour a person? These factors will help us to advise whether to call it Cayetano Hospital or Cayetano’s hospital.
    Dear s16teddy:
    Yes, the hospital honours José Cayetano Heredia, a Peruvian physician.
    So..Maybe the correct sentence is: I work at Cayetano Hospital. :b

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes I think these are all possible
    I work at Cayetano’s Hospital.
    I work at Cayetano’s
    (if the context makes it clear that this is a hospital).
    (Like I work at Guy’s or St Thomas’s in London)

Maybe also
    I work at the Cayetano.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    Yes I think these are all possible
    I work at Cayetano’s Hospital.
    I work at Cayetano’s
    (if the context makes it clear that this is a hospital).
    (Like I work at Guy’s or St Thomas’s in London)

Maybe also
    I work at the Cayetano.
    Thanks dear Teddy!:)