Preposition: It was the happiest day <in, of> Joy's life.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
*They had a beautiful wedding banquet.It was the happiest day of Joy's life.

The sentence came from my English Book.I wonder why this sentence use ''of'' instead of ''in''.In my first thought,I would definately choose the preposition ''in'' to form the phrase like ''day of in Joe's life''.

Is there any difference in example I came up with?

Hopefully I made it clear.

Thanks in advance.

• ps.sur.mer

United States, English
    The correct word here is definitely "of." I never hear people using "in" in this type of sentence.

Aud Duck

English--United States
    While "in" makes logical sense, it is not the idiomatic way of putting the sentence. "The happiest day of in Joe's life" definitely does not make sense. I can't think of any instance where you could use two prepositions in a row (though, as with everything in language, I'm sure there's an exception to that). Stick to "the happiest day of Joy's life."

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    This is the luckiest day of my life.

This is the unluckiest day of my life.

This is the saddest day of my life.

This is the happiest day of my life.

It really is funny to think that of and life go together in this construction but they just look funny with in rather than of.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    While "in" makes logical sense, it is not the idiomatic way of putting the sentence. "The happiest day of in Joe's life" definitely does not make sense. I can't think of any instance where you could use two prepositions in a row (though, as with everything in language, I'm sure there's an exception to that). Stick to "the happiest day of Joy's life."

Sorry to all.''The happiest day of in Joe's life'' is a typo.

The sentence ''The happiest day in Joe's life'' is what I want to indicate.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    What day of the week do you go to church?
    What month of the year does Christmas fall in?
    What hour of the day does sunrise occur?
    It was the happiest day of Joy's life.

Theoretically, you could use "in" in all of these sentences, however, it seems that when speaking of periods of time, we almost invariably use "of".