Preposition "on" with morning, afternoon and night

< Previous | Next >

KON

Hi!,

I was asked a question recently regarding the usage of the preposition "on" when used along with morning, afternoon and night which I couldn't explain but felt normal to say...

In all of the English grammar books the rule is straight forward. "in" with morning eg, in the morning, in the afternoon but at night. (sometimes "in" can be used with night to talk about something taking place during the night).

However... we say,

1) ON the night of the murder ( at the night of the murder? )
2) ON a night like this ( at a night like this? )
3) ON the moring of the trip, I woke up 6:30 am ( in the morning of the trip...)
4) I bought the first cup of coffee, ON the morning that you first opened your cafe

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this query.
Thanks alot in advance

• languageGuy

USA and English
    When you are talking about a very specific morning (or night or day) 'on' is used.

I drank coffee in the morning. I drank coffee on the morning you arrived.

sunyaer

Chinese
    When you are talking about a very specific morning (or night or day) 'on' is used.

I drank coffee in the morning. I drank coffee on the morning you arrived.
    On / in Sunday night? (Which is correct?)

On / in Sunday morning? (Which is correct?)

At the night of Sunday? (Is it natural?)

Sun14

Chinese
    I was wondering whether we use on if the words morning, afternoon and evening is modified by a certain adjective to make people feel the it is more like a certain morning:

I met her on the beautiful morning. (The time was beautiful and I met her that morning.)

I lost my keys on a cold morning. (In that morning which I feel cold I lost my keys.)

I saw her on the first morning of the week. (I saw her on the first day of the week in the morning.)

I met her on a morning of March. (I met her in that morning in March.)

< Previous | Next >