Preposition to/of

Goldenboy25

Krio
Which of the following prepositions is correct in the following sentence to/of?

I just wanted to let you know that John has returned the key to/of flat 82.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Yes, Goldenboy. The second "to" in that sentence is necessary and good: I just wanted to let you know that John has returned the key to flat 82. :thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    You changed your question since I first answered it in post #2, Goldenboy. What are you trying to say with the sentence?

Are you trying to say that the key is the key that opens the door to flat 82? If you are, then to sounds better and more natural than of. But of is understandable.

Are you trying to say that John returned the key to somebody who lives in flat 82? If you are, then only to is meaningful in that sentence.

Last edited:

Delvo

American English
    Are you trying to say that John returned the key to somebody who lives in flat 82? If you are, then only to is meaningful in that sentence.
    And it also needs to refer to the person, not just the place, to avoid ambiguity.

Goldenboy25

Krio
    You changed your question since I first answered it in post #2, Goldenboy. What are you trying to say with the sentence?

Are you trying to say that the key is the key that opens the door to flat 82? If you are, then to sounds better and more natural than of. But of is understandable.

No. I am trying to say he returned the key for the flat

< Previous | Next >