prepositions: sponsorship ____ events

< Previous | Next >

imiuru

Chinese
'McDonalds is known for its sponsorship _______ various international sport events. '

What preposition is to be filled in the blank?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello imiuru. :)

Which preposition or prepositions do you think might fit?
    Once you have made your own attempt to answer the question, other people will help -- if you need help.

imiuru

Chinese
    My answer is 'for' but the correct answer is 'in'. I am wondering whether 'for' is an acceptable answer.

Andygc

British English
    I would say 'of' but how do you know what the correct answer is?
    We often see wrong "correct" answers here. Not all English teaching material is wholly reliable. As you suggest, the correct answer for the sentence as given (that is, with no context whatsoever) is "... sponsorship of various international ..." As far as BE is concerned, there are other errors in the sentence: we would normally write "sports events", and the company is called "McDonald's".

"For" is not an acceptable answer.

imiuru

Chinese
    Englishmypassion, the answer is given by the English learning website where I found the exercise question.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would use 'of', as you say.

I would say 'sporting event'. It appears from the Ngram that 'international sport event' is the least likely form, in both American and British English. ----> CLICK.

According to the Ngram 'sports event' is also used in both varieties of English.

< Previous | Next >