presa de jale [jales]

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Context is required. Please describe the background...where did you find the phrase, and provide a full sentence.

Gracias,
    cuchuflete

PD: You have requested translation into Spanish. What is the language of the original?

Santiago Jorge

English, USA
    I know this is WAY late, but this word "jale" has not been adequately addressed anywhere in the forum as of yet. I will not claim to know everything about this word, which is so often used in "street slang," but maybe my entry will inspire more knowledgeable people to join in . . ..

I have noticed that "Jale," in addition to several "normal" meanings, is used by Mexicans, who are given to heavy use of slang, with several additional meanings, including: "work," "assignment," "job," "thing," "business," and even "drugs."

"Presa" can mean several things as well, and take on different meanings when used within a phrase.

For not having a broader context here, I would say "presa de jale" would either translated into one of two possibilities: "victim of drugs" or "drug inmate." Or, maybe, in a stretch, "she's a slave of her job."

Last edited:

PryrLily

Colombia/Spanish
    This is very late. However, when I was studying to find words for grasp in terms of IEP, occupational therapy. I see they use the word presa. At first I thought it was that the sight translated with google translate or something was incorrect. However, I seen seen it in more than one location. "Presa" meaning a type of grasp (agarre o pinza). Tal vez jale es de pull. If so, then it could be the skill of grasping when pulling.

Nightyume

Mexico/Canada and English
    This is very late. However, when I was studying to find words for grasp in terms of IEP, occupational therapy. I see they use the word presa. At first I thought it was that the sight translated with google translate or something was incorrect. However, I seen seen it in more than one location. "Presa" meaning a type of grasp (agarre o pinza). Tal vez jale es de pull. If so, then it could be the skill of grasping when pulling.
    from the Mexican government:

Los jales son los apilamientos de material molido que queda después de que los minerales de interés han sido extraídos de las rocas que los contienen.

which makes A210044772's translation of "tailings dam" absolutely correct.