Presens futurum: ska + infinitiv

Perseas

Greek
Hello,

In a book of mine the chapter's title is: Presens futurum: ska + infinitiv.
And an example: Vi ska gå på bio på lördag.

My question: Is "ska+infinitiv" really present tense with future meaning? I thought it was like the English "I will + infinitive" which is just future.
Thanks in advance.

• Perseas

Greek
    Presens futurum is just a new name for the future tense.
    Thank you, winenous. If this is the case, then okay. To my understanding, "present future" would be, for example, "Jag ringer dig i morgon."

"ska" is an auxiliary verb and as such it accompanies a main verb.

Last edited:

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I see why it looks odd...

"Jag skall på bio på Fredag"

I think maybe the reason why "presens" makes sense is because when we are speaking we are describing a current state - you currently have the plan to do something in the future. Your future plans are present so to speak.

By contrast, if you tell me today you are going to see a movie on Friday but you don't, and we then talk about it on Saturday, you could maybe word it as:

"Jag skulle ha gått på bio på Fredag"

Perhaps yet another way of looking at it is using something other than "skall": "Jag kommer att på bio på Fredag"... "Jag kommer" seems to clearly be presens, yet we're ultimately talking about what will happen.

Perseas

Greek
    Thank you, MattiasNYC.
    I think maybe the reason why "presens" makes sense is because when we are speaking we are describing a current state - you currently have the plan to do something in the future. Your future plans are present so to speak.
    That makes sense.
    Perhaps yet another way of looking at it is using something other than "skall": "Jag kommer att på bio på Fredag"... "Jag kommer" seems to clearly be presens, yet we're ultimately talking about what will happen.
    Yes, here is obvious to me why the tense can be marked as presence future: "kommer" is presence and "på Fredag" refers to future.

< Previous | Next >