present for a physician to diagnose strep throat

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present for a physician to diagnose strep throat.

The way I understand the above sentence is as follows:

1) Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present in order that a physician should /will/can diagnose strep throat.

or

2) A physician will/can diagnose strep throat even if not all signs and symptoms are present.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Only one of your two interpretations is correct. Which do you think it is? The rules here say that you have to tell us and then we'll fix it for you.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    In my opinion, No.1 may be correct.
    No.2 should be corrected and read as follows:
    Remember that a physician will/can diagnose strep throat even if not all signs and symptoms are present.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Remember that a physician will/can diagnose strep throat even if not all signs and symptoms are present."

I would go for:

Remember that a physician may diagnose strep throat, even if not all signs and symptoms are present.

Although the physician can (is able to) and will (sometimes) diagnose strep throat, strep throat is only one option and he may (or may not) diagnose strep throat.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    Is this interpretation "Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present in order that a physician should /will/can diagnose strep throat" very wrong?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think the only true statement that can come out of that is "Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present in order that a physician might diagnose strep throat." or Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present when a physiciandiagnoses strep throat.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    As there is a quick and easy swab-test for Streph A, it takes just five minutes to get a result, I would say that "Remember that not all signs and symptoms must be present for a physician to diagnose strep throat" means that a physician is able to diagnose a steph troat even if the patient doesn't have all the signs and symptoms if the antigen is there (in the throat swab).

< Previous | Next >