present for our wedding

< Previous | Next >

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to say, "Do you have a present for our wedding" in a figurative sense, so to speak?

The bride wants her bridegroom to talk to his boss about promotion. He goes to talk to the boss and when he comes back, she ask him that question? In other words, "present" means "good news".

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In English, everything is possible but many things are not advisable: you have chosen one of the more inadvisable things to say. I would find it almost impossible to imagine how "Do you have a present for our wedding" could ever be understood figuratively if a bridegroom is asking the question.

leticiapuravida

USA
    English (US) - Spanish (CR)
    Hmm... I think you can make it work figuratively, but not perhaps exactly in the way you phrased it. It would sound more natural to me if the couple discussed the promotion as a present from the boss, rather as something the groom has for them. To put it another way, it would sound a little better to me if the bride asks the groom something like, "So, did your boss have a wedding present for us?"

Does my comment make sense to you? I understand you mean to use it figuratively, which is OK, as long as the context is all right. And in this case, phrasing it as if it's the groom who brings/gives/has the present sounds less natural than if it's the boss who gives/offers the present.

Hope that's not too confusing!

Michael30000

Russian
    In English, everything is possible but many things are not advisable: you have chosen one of the more inadvisable things to say. I would find it almost impossible to imagine how "Do you have a present for our wedding" could ever be understood figuratively if a bridegroom is asking the question.
    I agree PaulQ, it does sound a little odd even in Russian and only the context (it's from a Russian movie) makes the meaning clear.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    If the context makes it clear, then it is clear! Yes, use "Do you have a present for our wedding" by all means.:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >