present or future?

< Previous | Next >

elleboro

Italy Italian
Hi forumusers!

I 'm not sure which option/s is/are correct. Can you help me, please?

She always takes the 7.30 bus so at this time she is travelling/will be travelling/must be travelling.

• elleboro

Italy Italian
    Unfortunately this is the only context as it is a multiple choice. I 'm in favour with She is travelling because the action is taking place now but I am not sure because the other two sound correct too. Thank you anyway

thatsgameover

English - England
    Hmm, if the action is taking place now then I'd agree with you and say 'she is travelling'. However, if it's a general statement (which is suggested by 'always' at the start of the sentence) then I would say 'she will be travelling'. Hope that helps!

se16teddy

English - England
    She always takes the 7.30 bus so at this time she is travelling/will be travelling/must be travelling.
    None of these sounds very natural to me. I would say

She always takes the 7.30 bus so she is travelling at the moment.
    She always takes the 7.30 bus so she will be travelling at the moment.
    She always takes the 7.30 bus so must be travelling at the moment.

liliput

U.K. English
    I agree with the previous posts. All of the options are possible and none of them are very natural sounding. I suggest you complain to whoever created the question.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Of the three possible answers, I suggest that must be travelling is correct.
    She always takes the 7:30 bus so at this time she must be travelling.

There was another thread recently about this use of must - presenting a conclusion based on given information.
    If it's Friday we must be in Rome :)

She is travelling is too absolute - it doesn't contain any of the sense of deduction.
    She will be travelling is possible, but I'm not sure how warmly this structure would be received in an exam context.

audiolaik

Polish
    She will be travelling[/i] is possible, but I'm not sure how warmly this structure would be received in an exam context.
    Hello,

Future continuous more often than not implies an action that will occur in the normal course of events. Having said that, I think it is a perfect answer.

PS This is what I found in a grammar book:future continuous - actions in progress at a certain time in the future.

Hope it helps!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thanks audio :)
    I've just realised that if I contract she will in that sentence it feels a lot more comfortable:
    She always takes the 7:30 bus so at this time she'll be travelling.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Personally, I would not use will (or 'll) in this context. I would use must.

I don't know if this is a British-American difference, or if it's just me.

< Previous | Next >