Present perfect continuos con all (morning/weekend/week/day)

bravealex

italiano
Goodmorning everyone
This is my first post in this forum. The reason why i'm writing, is that for me is not clear the use of present perfect continuos when there is ALL.
Obviously, is clear that when the action is still true, i have to use PPC "i have been working hard all morning" (it's still morning). But, if it's the end of the day (8 PM) and i meet my wife, can i say to her "i have been working hard all morning" ? I would say "i worked hard all morning", am i wrong? I hope you can help me :)
Please, correct all my mistakes :) hi

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Welcome to the forum!

I think you're right - the morning is over now, so you should use past tense (not present continuous because it is used when the action is still ongoing) as you would.

However, you can use past perfect continuous tense here, i.e:

I had been working hard all morning before I went to meet my boss.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hi, bravealex, welcome to WRF.

In your example, you can say to your wife either (i) "I have been/was working hard all morning" or (ii)"I worked hard all morning." or (iii) "I was working hard all morning."

The continuous form of the verb indicates that the subject has spent time (has been/was/is/will be spend time) doing something or was in the process of doing something.

The continuous form of the verb is appropriate to indicate or emphasise that any action has taken/take/will take time, (e.g. "I have been/was working hard all morning" :tick:) but not for actions that are instantaneous or very fast: "The vase was falling from my hands :cross:and it broke." / "He threw the stone and it hit me on the head":tick: "He was throwing the stone and it was hitting me on the head":cross:)
    "I have been/was spending time working hard all morning" "I have been/was in the process of working hard all morning" -> "I have been/was working hard all morning"

The simple form of the verb (past/present and future) does not say, or even suggest, how long the action lasted or took to do.

PS, please note that "I" is always written with a capital letter :thumbsup:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I wouldn't be very likely to use this in the evening: "I have been working hard all morning".

Context is very important when we consider which tense to use. A possible context might go something like this:
    No, I don't want to go out now. Today I've been working hard all morning, I've been out shopping all afternoon, and now I think I deserve a rest.

Outside of that not-so-usual context, I'd happily use any of the other versions offered by PaulQ.

Welcome to the forum!

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Veli, PaulQ,
    Unfortunately, you both have missed what the OP is really asking about. He/she has said that 'present perfect continuous tense' is used in the situation when the action is still ongoing, but when we say (for example at 8 pm at night) I've been working hard all morning, it does not mean that the action of working is still ongoing, rather it is a finished action which finished this morning (all this morning time), so here past tense (I worked all this morning) should be used. Because morning is over now; you're reporting this at 8 pm.

I, too, have learned that when we use 'present perfect continuous tense', it always means that the action is still ongoing.

Thanks.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I didn't miss anything Lun.

I think bravealex has the right idea about how to use the present perfect continuous tense.

I pointed out that (unlike Paul, perhaps) I wouldn't be likely to use "I have been working hard all morning" in a context where the morning is quite finished as indicated in the OP. That doesn't mean that I couldn't ever use it in such a context if I really wanted to.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Obviously, is clear that when the action is still true, i have to use PPC "i have been working hard all morning" (it's still morning)
    Unfortunately, you both have missed what the OP is really asking about. He/she has said that 'present perfect continuous tense' is used in the situation when the action is still ongoing,
    You will see that "when the action is still true" is poor and ambiguous English - If I have been working all of this particular morning, it will still be true in 100 years time that I was working all that particular morning.

I therefore assumed that by "when the action is still true" the OP meant "when the action is still having an effect in the present". I assumed this, as that is one way that teachers use to explain the use of the present perfect and the present perfect continuous.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I, too, have learned that when we use 'present perfect continuous tense', it always means that the action is still ongoing.
    You are very sure of yourself.:(
    This 'always' is simply wrong.
    The activity may have recently ended. I'd call that Lesson #101 about present perfect tenses.
    We might choose to use the present perfect continuous later in the day to emphasis the effect of the past continuous activity on our present state just as we do the present perfect. Another possibility is to use the present perfect continous when telling a story to heighten the immediacy.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    the OP meant "when the action is still having an effect in the present"
    Yes, it can be one use of present perfect continuous, but it's not clear from the OP whether the action of working hard has an effect on the present or not.
    I think bravealex should clarify that.

< Previous | Next >