Present tense

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
Hi. I've just kind of realised (which I should have done a while ago!) that there's different present tenses in Arabic (I mean, naturally, there is in English too)

I found out in the Other Languages forum, where cherine told me. (This thread)

So, "I go" is "adhhabu" and "I am going" would be "ana dhaahibun" (male speaker) and "ana dhaahibatun" (female speaker)

I would like to know if the following is correct (I've guessed them really.. and missed some out .. I know they will be wrong, but I thought I'd try anyway):-

He goes - yadhhabu (يذهب) He is going - huwa dhaahibun (هو ذاهب)
They (dual + masc.) go - yadhhabaani (يذهبان) They (d+m) are going - humaa... ?
They (masc.) go = yadhhabuuna (يذهبون) They (masc.) are going - hum dhaahibuun. (هم ذاهبون)

She goes - tadhhabu (تذهب) She is going - hiya dhaahibatun (هي ذاهبة)
They (dual + fem.) go - tadhhabaani (تذهبان) They (d+f) are going - humaa .. ?
They (fem.) go - yadhhabna (يذهبن) They (fem.) are going - hunna dhahabtunna (هن ذهبتن)

You (masc.sing) go - tadhhabu (تذهب) You (m.s) are going - anta dhaahibun (انت ذاهب)
You (masc.plural) go - tadhhabuuna (تذهبون) You (m.s) are going - antum .. ?

You (fem.sing) go - tadhhabiina (تذهبين) You (f.s) are going - anti dhaahibatun (انت ذاهبة)
You (fem.plural) go - tadhhabna (تذهبن) You (f.p) are going - antunna .. ?

I go (male + female) - adhhabu (اذهب) I am going (m) - ana dhaahibun (انا ذاهب) I am going (f) - ana dhaahibatun (انا ذاهبة)

We go - nadhhabu (نذهب) We are going - nahnu .. ?

I'd like to be corrected please!

• Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Okay, I don't know much about it either, but here's my attempt at some suggestions:

linguist786 said:
    So, "I go" is "adhhabu" and "I am going" would be "ana dhaahibun" (male speaker) and "ana dhaahibatun" (female speaker) :tick:

They (dual + masc.) go - yadhhabaani (يذهبان) They (d+m) are going - humaa dhaahibaan هما ذاهبان?
    They (masc.) go = yadhhabuuna (يذهبون) They (masc.) are going - hum dhaahibuun. (هم ذاهبون)

She goes - tadhhabu (تذهب) She is going - hiya dhaahibatun (هي ذاهبة)
    They (dual + fem.) go - tadhhabaani (تذهبان) They (d+f) are going - humaa dhaahibataan هما ذاهتان ?
    They (fem.) go - yadhhabna (يذهبن) They (fem.) are going - hunna dhahabtunna (هن ذهبتن) I'd say "hunna dhaahibaat" هن ذاهبات

You (masc.sing) go - tadhhabu (تذهب) You (m.s) are going - anta dhaahibun (انت ذاهب)
    You (masc.plural) go - tadhhabuuna (تذهبون) You (m.pl.) are going - antum dhaahibuun أنتم ذاهبون?

You (fem.sing) go - tadhhabiina (تذهبين) You (f.s) are going - anti dhaahibatun (انت ذاهبة)
    You (fem.plural) go - tadhhabna (تذهبن) You (f.p) are going - antunna dhaahibaat أنتن ذاهبات ?

I go (male + female) - adhhabu (اذهب) I am going (m) - ana dhaahibun (انا ذاهب) I am going (f) - ana dhaahibatun (انا ذاهبة)

We go - nadhhabu (نذهب) We are going - na7nu dhaahibuun/dhaahibaat نحن ذاهبون/ذاهبات ?

It's the same with "ana fahim" أنا فهم (I'm understanding [right now]), "ana fahima" أنا فهمة, I think. But please wait for the natives. :)

abusaf

Sweden
    linguist786 said:
    They (dual + masc.) go - yadhhabaani (يذهبان) They (d+m) are going - humaa...

Marfoo3 - ذاهبان

Mansoob & Majroor - ذاهبين

They (dual + fem.) go - tadhhabaani (تذهبان) They (d+f) are going - humaa .. ?

ٍ
    Marfoo3 - ذاهبتان
    Mansoob & Majroor - ذاهبتين

They (fem.) go - yadhhabna (يذهبن) They (fem.) are going - hunna dhahabtunna (هن ذهبتن)

هن ذاهبات

You (masc.plural) go - tadhhabuuna (تذهبون) You (m.s) are going - antum .. ?

أنتم ذاهبون
    Mansoob & Majroor - كنتم ذاهبين

You (fem.plural) go - tadhhabna (تذهبن) You (f.p) are going - antunna .. ?

أنتن ذاهبات

We go - nadhhabu (نذهب) We are going - nahnu .. ?

2 : نحن ذاهبان
    More than 2: نحن ذاهبون

It's the same with "ana faahim" أنا فاهم (I'm understanding [right now]), "ana fahima" أنا فاهمة, I think. But please wait for the natives. :)

< Previous | Next >