"present you" v. "present to you" [the president]

< Previous | Next >

Larissa2000

English USA
Hi, a French friend asked me if it was wrong to say," Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you the President" - like an introduction at an event

I think it needs to be "present to you" - am I wrong? Can it be both?

Thanks.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I could see this: Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the President.

Also: Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you ... the President.

The other version makes my ears take offence: Ladies and gentlemen, may I present you the President.

I think your instincts are working.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I don't know if there's something wrong with "to you", but I read in this post that "Let me introduce you to someone", just like "may I present you the President", is also inappropriate when making an introduction in front of an audience. It should be "Let me introduce someone".

Larissa2000

English USA
    I don't know if there's something wrong with "to you", but I read in this post that "Let me introduce you to someone", just like "may I present you the President", is also inappropriate when making an introduction in front of an audience. It should be "Let me introduce someone".

The above is different because it's a personal introduction with "introduce." There is nothing wrong with "to you" in the sentence I posted.

Barque

Tamil
    You'll need to improve the punctuation (a comma after the address) and correct the spelling mistake.

I suppose some people might use that structure but I don't particularly like it.

< Previous | Next >