presents they're going to have to send back anyway

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A postal worker: See, I have to shop late because it's the busiest time of year for me. All these important Christmas letters that people send to folks they don't even talk to but once a year, not to mention relatives sending presents they're going to have to send back anyway. How many toiletry kits does a man need? And how about those little, stupid letters from kids to Santa at the North Pole?
Jingle All the Way, film

How do I understand the boldfaced phrase please?
Thank you.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Many presents/gifts that people receive they don't want and so these are often taken back to the store for a refund.
    They don't send them back to the person who sent the presents to them in the first place.
    People would really say - ...presents they are going to have to take back (to the store of origin).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Many presents/gifts that people receive they don't want and so these are often taken back to the store for a refund.
    They don't send them back to the person who sent the presents to them in the first place.
    People would really say - ...presents they are going to have to take back (to the store of origin).
    That means that those gifts that are sent to relatives have the receipts with them too, right? (otherwise they couldn't be returned to the shop)...

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Yes. That is true. That really happens more among close family. Gifts from others don't generally come with the receipts.
    Most presents are kept and just put aside. You are quoting a movie that deals with 'reality stretched'.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Many stores will give a "gift receipt" -- a receipt without the price on it -- so if the recipient wants to return it he can prove it was purchased at that store but unless he does so won't know how much (or how little) you paid for it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Many stores will give a "gift receipt" -- a receipt without the price on it -- so if the recipient wants to return it he can prove it was purchased at that store but unless he does so won't know how much (or how little) you paid for it.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >