Preside vs dominate

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I'm translating a guidebook and I'm hesitating between these two verbs used in passive: "This itinerary starts in the Puerta de las Granadas. The Cuesta de Gomérez (Hill) and the Paseo Central (the Central Promenade) are dominated/presided by an attractive red and white, marble monument in the shape of a mausoleum." Or maybe even neither of them is correct. Could someone please give me some advice? Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The Cuesta de Gomérez (Hill) and the Paseo Central (the Central Promenade) are dominated by an attractive red and white, marble monument in the shape of a mausoleum." Dominated states that the monument is the main and most noticeable structure and makes the other objects appear relatively unimportant.

The Cuesta de Gomérez (Hill) and the Paseo Central (the Central Promenade) are presided over by an attractive red and white, marble monument in the shape of a mausoleum." Presided over is personification and gives the idea that the monument has a paternal aspect - as if it is "in charge" of the other objects.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Thank you so much, PaulQ. Your lessons are really valuable, and proficient too. I think the author is using it in the first sense. Thank you again

< Previous | Next >