prete a faire la fete

• Login

Belgium - French
    erica said:
    can you help translate into English?
    Context would help since this could mean 'to be ready to go out' (at that moment) or "to be always eager to go on party".

Login

Belgium - French
    Btw, a friend of mine (Birtish English) says about himself that he is a "party-animal". Is that right ? Very commonly used ?

OlivierG

France / Français
    Login said:
    Btw, a friend of mine (Birtish English) says about himself that he is a "party-animal". Is that right ? Very commonly used ?
    Probably. It is written on my pinball (a Gottlieb's "Spring Break"), so I presume it's a common expression.

lnhoj74

UK English
    You french should be saying 'pret a feter' (sic) by now. Shakespeare started us english using nouns as verbs,among other freeing constructions.

mono

United States / English
    egueule said:
    We hapless French are still waiting for such a linguistic saviour to be born!
    Oh, I love a lot of French literature. Unlike English-speaking countries, at least the French have greats like Victor Hugo, Signor de Balzac, Michel de Montaigne, and Rambeau.

kens

Canada - English
    I suspect egueule was being ironic. But we anglos have great writers too, like William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Steven King and J.K. Rowling.

RTB

England, English
    Login said:
    It is very commonly used slang indeed.
    It is defined in the dictionary as a very sociable person who enjoys lively social activities, a sociable person who loves and goes to many parties.
    Definitions do, however, vary. It can be taken to mean 'party like an animal' (i.e. with great energy or with no morals!) ; or equally, it can be taken to mean, that he is a 'party human-being' - i.e. one who lives for partying.
    Anyway, I'm sure you know which type your friend is...;)

-RTB

< Previous | Next >