<Pretty fair now>, I'd <say>, <that we've got more distance behind us>

park sang joon

Korean
The protagonist and his companion Ganelon are escaping from his brother's pursuit.
Shadows are parallel worlds of two real worlds.

"What are our chances of escaping him?"
"Pretty fair now, I'd say, that we've got more distance behind us. I am going to shuffle some more shadows as soon as my heads stop spinning."
["The Guns of Avalon" of The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny]
I think "pretty fair now" is an object of "say."
And I'd like to know if the underlined "that" clause is also an object of "say."

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    'Pretty fair now' is an adverbial phrase that goes to escaping. Those are the chances of escaping.
    Then he continues and the 'that' phrase is the object of say (it is what he is saying).

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    I am not always good about punctuation. Perhaps it is just a mistake. When someone is quoting then a comma appears.
    Example: Tom said, "you're right". With the sentence you presented it is my opinion that it doesn't belong.

sound shift

English - England
    The comma is there because the meaning is "now that we've got more distance behind us". The author could have written: "Pretty fair, I'd say, now that we've got more distance behind us." In other words, the speaker thinks that he and his companion have a pretty fair chance of escaping because there is now more distance behind them.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "What are our chances of escaping him?" "Pretty fair now, I'd say, that we've got more distance behind us. I am going to shuffle some more shadows as soon as my heads stop spinning." ["The Guns of Avalon" of The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny] I think "pretty fair now" is an object of "say." And I'd like to know if the underlined "that" clause is also an object of "say."
    I go with sound shift's sentence. The "now" is in the wrong place.

I do not see a direct object or indirect object in the sentence. It could be restated as: I'd say our chances of escaping him are pretty fair now that we've got more distance behind us.

No DO or IO there. If you said "Say your prayers." that would be a DO.

< Previous | Next >