pretty good,not bad

Dipti

Hindi gujurati
Hi Guys,

How do you use the words pretty good and not bad .Does using "not bad " = good.

Thanks,

Dipti.

• timpeac

English (England)
    "pretty good" = fairly/quite good. Better than "not bad", not as good as "good".

"not bad" = not as good as "pretty good" but better than "bad". Better than just "ok" too I'd say, although the too are very close.

gaer

US-English
    timpeac said:
    "pretty good" = fairly/quite good. Better than "not bad", not as good as "good".

"not bad" = not as good as "pretty good" but better than "bad". Better than just "ok" too I'd say, although the too are very close.
    That's tough, because in some cases, "not bad" really means "very good", if it is said with a smile and a bit humorously.

For instance, "That's not bad. Not bad at all!"

But I agree with what you said. In general, it is used to indicate that something is "not bad" but also perhaps "not as good as it should be".

Gaer

timpeac

English (England)
    gaer said:
    That's tough, because in some cases, "not bad" really means "very good", if it is said with a smile and a bit humorously.

For instance, "That's not bad. Not bad at all!"

But I agree with what you said. In general, it is used to indicate that something is "not bad" but also perhaps "not as good as it should be".

Gaer
    Yes, good point. You can say "not bad!" in a really exaggerated tone, and ,as you say, that would mean "really quite good!!". I hadn't thought of that.

gaer

US-English
    timpeac said:
    Yes, good point. You can say "not bad!" in a really exaggerated tone, and ,as you say, that would mean "really quite good!!". I hadn't thought of that.
    Isn't amazing how many things we ALL know about our native languages without KNOWING that we know them? :)

Gaer

Dipti

Hindi gujurati
    Hi Guys.Thanks for helping me out.

I am taking a class in english as second language and have been asked to analyze the meaning of sentences.

The sentence that I have to anaylze is :- The biy told the girl you are not bad looking at all.

I don't what would it mean.

Thank You.

garryknight

UK, English
    Dipti said:
    The sentence that I have to anaylze is :- The biy told the girl you are not bad looking at all.
    It's a badly-formed sentence. It should be:
    The boy told the girl, "You are not bad looking at all".
    Does that make more sense?

gaer

US-English
    Dipti said:
    yeah ,so the meaning would be that the gal is average looking ?

Thanks.
    It's not that easy. You need to have context. Maybe the guy was trying to make the girl feel better.

"It's not true you're ugly. You're not bad-looking at all." The problem with such phrases is that they have to be interpreted. Basically, different people have said this phrase means different things. I agree with ALL of them. This is why we use more precise language when we write. We can't see faces and body language. :)

Gaer

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi Dipti;

Not bad looking....Means that she is not ugly...nor is she a beauty....I agree with you..she is of average looks...

te gato;)

te gato

gaer said:
    I agree that this is the most frequent meaning. :)

Gaer
    Gaer;
    Of course you agree...because I'm right!!:D

He didn't bark at her...so she is not ugly...and he didn't call her a dragon...so good looking that the guy's tounges drag behind her...so normal I would say...

te gato;)

mnzrob

Chicago English and German
    If he just said, "you are not bad looking", I would agree that she was avarage. But by adding "at all" it sounds like she's pretty good looking, definitely above average. When I say a girl isn't bad looking at all, that means she's pretty hot. But again, it would depend on how it was said, and which words were stressed.

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    garryknight said:
    Well, I'd read it as mild irony. He's actually saying that he thinks she's quite good-looking.
    mnzrob said:
    If he just said, "you are not bad looking", I would agree that she was avarage. But by adding "at all" it sounds like she's pretty good looking, definitely above average. When I say a girl isn't bad looking at all, that means she's pretty hot. But again, it would depend on how it was said, and which words were stressed.
    As others have said, more context would be required to be sure, but taken just as it is in this post, I agree with garryknight and mnzrob. I think it is saying that the boy thinks she is quite good looking.

gaer

US-English
    gotitadeleche said:
    As others have said, more context would be required to be sure, but taken just as it is in this post, I agree with garryknight and mnzrob. I think it is saying that the boy thinks she is quite good looking.
    Again, it's absolutely impossible to know for sure without context.

The obvious question would be: "What do you mean by that?" :)

Gaer

Dipti

Hindi gujurati
    Hi guys.

Here is the context:-

Two friends are meeting after a while .The guy is going to be where the girl is staying and he asked her on the phone where she would go out on a date with hi.She was surprised as she has been friends with him for a while and he had never asked her out that way.She asked him and he said the reason was that he thinks she is not bad looking and he thinks she is a pretty cool girl.

Thanks.

te gato

Dipti said:
    Hi guys.

Here is the context:-

Two friends are meeting after a while .The guy is going to be where the girl is staying and he asked her on the phone where she would go out on a date with him.She was surprised as she has been friends with him for a while and he had never asked her out that way.She asked him and he said the reason was that he thinks she is not bad looking and he thinks she is a pretty cool girl.

Thanks.
    Hi Dipti;
    With the context..he thinks she is good looking...
    with context it changes the meaning..

te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    Hi Dipti;
    With the context..he thinks she is good looking...
    with context it changes the meaning..

te gato;)
    You know what? The way I read it, I think the guy was pretty rude. But maybe that's just the way I'm feeling tonight.

te gato

gaer said:
    You know what? The way I read it, I think the guy was pretty rude. But maybe that's just the way I'm feeling tonight.
    Sorry gaer;

I did not read it that way...He said she was a "pretty cool girl"...how is that being rude?...:confused:

te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    Sorry gaer;

I did not read it that way...He said she was a "pretty cool girl"...how is that being rude?...:confused:

te gato;)
    Read this again:

Two friends are meeting after a while .The guy is going to be where the girl is staying and he asked her on the phone where she would go out on a date with him. She was surprised as she has been friends with him for a while and he had never asked her out that way.She asked him and he said the reason was that he thinks she is not bad looking and he thinks she is a pretty cool girl.

Let's say that you and I have been friends for a while. At some point, I decide I would like us to be more than friends. I want to ask you out on a date. You ask me why? I'm sure as HELL not going to say to you: "You're not bad looking and I think you're pretty cool." :)

I would not say that in a MILLION MILLION years!!!

I would say: "To be honest, I think you've very cool. I never told you this before, but I also think you are very good-looking."

Gaer

jacinta

USA English
    I will just add my two cents to this discussion. I think it's been covered pretty well but as a female, if someone were to say "You're not bad-looking", I would think, Excuse me? What's wrong with the way I look? It's certainly not a compliment. It's like saying, "I didn't get a date with her, but you'll do. You're not bad-looking. You're not beautiful, you're not ugly, you're okay. I'll settle for you".

Now, if I were talking about soup, I'd say "MMMMM, not bad!", meaning, that's good! The difference is that I'm talking about a thing and not a person. The connotation is different. Still, come to think of it, when I make something for dinner and someone says, Not bad, I think, Is it good? Why don't you say it's good?!

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    gaer said:
    Read this again:

Two friends are meeting after a while .The guy is going to be where the girl is staying and he asked her on the phone where she would go out on a date with him. She was surprised as she has been friends with him for a while and he had never asked her out that way.She asked him and he said the reason was that he thinks she is not bad looking and he thinks she is a pretty cool girl.

Let's say that you and I have been friends for a while. At some point, I decide I would like us to be more than friends. I want to ask you out on a date. You ask me why? I'm sure as HELL not going to say to you: "You're not bad looking and I think you're pretty cool." :)

I would not say that in a MILLION MILLION years!!!

I would say: "To be honest, I think you've very cool. I never told you this before, but I also think you are very good-looking."

Gaer
    In that context, I agree with Gaer. It almost sounds like, "Well, I don't have anything better to do tonight, so let's go out."

te gato

Hi All;

What you have remember is that this was done on the phone...a tone of voice changes the meaning of words and sentences quite fast.!!! If said with a slightly shy voice..he thinks that she is nice to look at..if said in a rather sly voice then ..he desreves the phone slammed in his ear and a swift kick in the A** the next time she sees him....

Just my opinion...

te gato;)

Dipti

Hindi gujurati
    I agree with Jacinta.If you are asking a girl out and even in these circumstances u don't say your are good -looking but say you are not bad ,thats just wrong.The guy either does not know how to ask a girl out or its just bad social moving.

te gato

Dipti said:
    I agree with Jacinta.If you are asking a girl out and even in these circumstances u don't say your are good -looking but say you are not bad ,thats just wrong.The guy either does not know how to ask a girl out or its just bad social moving.
    I agree..
    that is not a very nice way to say it..but it is said..whether we like it or not...and when I asked a few guys here what they meant by it they said that they considered her good looking....
    the boy obviously never took a course on social graces..or does not have any understanding of the female person...:rolleyes:

te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    Hi All;

What you have remember is that this was done on the phone...a tone of voice changes the meaning of words and sentences quite fast.!!! If said with a slightly shy voice..he thinks that she is nice to look at..if said in a rather sly voice then ..he desreves the phone slammed in his ear and a swift kick in the A** the next time she sees him....

Just my opinion...

te gato;)
    I almost never differ with you, but in this case I stubbornly insist that in this situation, except under the most unusual situation, the guy sounds like he's doing the lady, whatever her age, a favor by going out with someone who is "not bad looking". The fact that it is a phone conversation doesn't change that for me.

When other women disagree with you, I think you're on shaky ground.

Now, let's see what the other guys have to say.

Gaer

te gato

gaer said:
    Read this again:

Gaer
    As you told me once...."Read this again"....

They are friends ....so I don't think he was insulting her...

Also I said "I did not agree with the way he said it"....but ..my point was that it is said here...and I am sorry I can't quote the boys names I asked....

I dissagree with you on "tone of voice" it has a lot to do with changing how things are percieved...Ok granted my usage of the following word is not that approprate...and please remember... I AM NOT INSULTING YOU !!!..."oh gaer...you're such a a**." ..laughing..she said in a playful tone of voice lightly swatting him on the arm...I would not take this as being an insult....

But "oh gaer..you're such an a**." ..she said with a glare in her eyes and a very rude tone of voice..Then I would take this as an insult...

But this is just me...
    te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    As you told me once...."Read this again"....

They are friends ....so I don't think he was insulting her...

Also I said "I did not agree with the way he said it"....but ..my point was that it is said here...and I am sorry I can't quote the boys names I asked....

I dissagree with you on "tone of voice" it has a lot to do with changing how things are percieved...Ok granted my usage of the following word is not that approprate...and please remember... I AM NOT INSULTING YOU !!!..."oh gaer...you're such a a**." ..laughing..she said in a playful tone of voice lightly swatting him on the arm...I would not take this as being an insult....

But "oh gaer..you're such an a**." ..she said with a glare in her eyes and a very rude tone of voice..Then I would take this as an insult...

But this is just me...
    te gato;)
    Well, you've worn me down down. I guess we'll never find out if the guy got the date—or not. :)

Gaer

jacinta

USA English
    Don't worry, gaer, I'm absolutely on your side. Te gato, you are a woman, aren't you?
    I'm sorry, but I too will disagree with you until the sky falls down. No true friend of mine would say that to me. If he thought it, he would keep quiet.

gaer

US-English
    jacinta said:
    Don't worry, gaer, I'm absolutely on your side. Te gato, you are a woman, aren't you?
    I'm sorry, but I too will disagree with you until the sky falls down. No true friend of mine would say that to me. If he thought it, he would keep quiet.
    Ahem…

I'm making a graceful exit… <trip, stumble, falling over a lamp…> :)

G

te gato

jacinta said:
    jacinta;
    the last time I checked I was still a woman....:D
    You are going by your personal feelings not by what the sentence said... Trust me...I will say it again....I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE WAY HE SAID IT...and yes if any of my friends said that to me my shoe would be so far up.....but I was going by the statements of the teen-agers at the school by my home...not my personal feelings on the subject...:(
    te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    jacinta;
    the last time I checked I was still a woman....:D
    Does that mean if you check again, it may change? <ducking fast>

Seriously, I was just trying to warn anyone learning English to be careful about assuming that such a statement would be okay in most situations such as the one described.

Now, let me see, I'm still a man. But I'd better check in a couple minutes to make sure that hasn't changed.

Gaer

te gato

gaer said:
    Does that mean if you check again, it may change? <ducking fast>

Seriously, I was just trying to warn anyone learning English to be careful about assuming that such a statement would be okay in most situations such as the one described.

Now, let me see, I'm still a man. But I'd better check in a couple minutes to make sure that hasn't changed.

Gaer
    Gaer;
    Do you feel my shoe???:D

I understand....

as per your last statement...mmmmmmmmmmm
    No comment!!!:eek:

te gato;)

< Previous | Next >