prevent a whitewash

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi.

I wrote the sentence myself. Two teams are going to meet in the final (football), one is very strong and the other team is far less stonger. The far less stronger team leader said to his teammates:

In order to prevent a whitewash in the final, we need to exercise more.

Is the bold natural?

• Myridon

English - US
    As long as you're not writing for Americans. :) I'm guessing you mean "practice" (working on skills specific to the sport) not "exercise" (lifting weights, doing calisthenics, ...) Exercise makes you stronger, but practice makes you better at football.

Packard

USA, English
    It definitely would not work in American English.

In American English "whitewash" is a very cheap paint made from lime and water. It would last one or two seasons and then another coat would be required.

It is a "cover-up" to hide the wood underneath. In American English it is a metaphor for anything that needs to be covered-up or hushed up.

We do have a "washout".

Wash out definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

wash out in American English

Slang

1. US
    to drop out of or be dropped from a training course, athletic program, etc. because of failure
    to reject or fail

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I think Silver means "We have to work on our fitness", not "We have to exercise more". It sounds off not just because of the wording, but because, if you've already won a semi-final, there isn't likely to be much time before the final to improve fitness by any significant amount.

Packard

USA, English
    I think Silver means "We have to work on our fitness", not "We have to exercise more". It sounds off not just because of the wording, but because, if you've already won a semi-final, there isn't likely to be much time before the final to improve fitness by any significant amount.
    Or,

“If we Have any aspirations of winning we would need to greatly improve our athletes’ conditioning by instituting a program of physical fitness.”

< Previous | Next >