prevent something to happen

epistolario

Tagalog
I just can't find the right synonym for prevent in this scenario:

You are in the middle of your favorite ball game, TV show, or activity and you don't want to miss it. But you feel the need to go to the washroom (call of nature) and you decide to delay your going there because you know that your favorite show ends in 10 minutes.

It also applies in cases wherein you are traveling by bus and you will reach your destination in 30 minutes, so you have no choice but to control yourself.

How would you describe yourself in that scenario, trying to suppress a normal physiological process? Please give both colloquial and formal terms. Thanks.

• timpeac

English (England)
    Hi. It's "prevent from happening", by the way - but I can't see you using "prevent" in your scenario where you ask for a synonym.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    I just can't find the right synonym for prevent in this scenario:

You are in the middle of your favorite ball game, TV show, or activity and you don't want to miss it. But you feel the need to go to the washroom (call of nature) and you decide to delay your going there because you know that your favorite show ends in 10 minutes.

It also applies in cases wherein you are traveling by bus and you will reach your destination in 30 minutes, so you have no choice but to control yourself.

How would you describe yourself in that scenario, trying to suppress a normal physiological process? Please give both colloquial and formal terms. Thanks.

I would say:
    --I want to go to the restroom, but I will hold it.

Packard

USA, English
    The word is "continence", the antonym of "incontinence".

You almost never hear "continence" used in speech.

"Incontinence" is used in a semi-medical/medical sense most often.