previo a los trámites de rigor

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Librana Justa, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Librana Justa New Member

Spanish English
    Como se traduce:

"previo a los trámites de rigor"

Gracias por cualquier ayuda que puedan brindar.

2. David

David Banned

in advance of the prescribed proceedings

3. carioquita

carioquita Senior Member

Baja California
    México.---Spanish
    previo = previous, prior

Saludos ! Carioquita
    :D

4. sancholibre Senior Member

Nueva York
    English
    I know this post was years ago, but the above suggestion is not a good in my opinion. "Required formalities" would be the proper translation for "trámite de rigor". As to previo a, depends on the context! Could be leading up to, earlier than, prior to, etc.

5. sancholibre Senior Member

Nueva York
    English
    Not sound at all. "in advance" does not work here. And even if did, it would be at the end of a sentence, but the beginning.

6. David

David Banned

previo a means "in advance of", or simply, "before." Trámites are "proceedings," usual extra-judicial or administrative, but proceedings nonethe less.

I have no idea what you mean by "the beginning" or "end of the sentence," as there is no context in the original query, but I stand by my suggestion. You, I presume, stand by your criticism. What can I say to that?

7. sancholibre Senior Member

Nueva York
    English
    Unlike your your suggestion, mine is backed by well-known SP-EN legal dictionaries (none of which render trámite as "proceedings") that I use as a legal translator myself. I believe you are confusing proceedings with procedures. Trámites are procedures (to be followed), formalities or processing (e.g. en trámite = processed / in process). Both "in advance of" and "in advance" must be preceded by text (with a subject). Trámite de rigor is a specific term that you won't see in generic dictionaries or even WR, and is rendered in Thomas West's Spanish-English Business and Law Dictionary as I suggested above: the "required formalities".

RAE meanings of trámite:
    1. m. Cada uno de los pasos y diligencias que hay que recorrer en un asunto hastasu conclusión.
    2. m. Paso de una parte a otra, o de una cosa a otra.
    http://dle.rae.es/?id=aGOeyRq

8. David

David Banned

And if the asunto is judicial, in can be proceedings. Or it might be formalities or procedures. Since the original query had not context, your guess is as good as mine. And whenever you prefer the advice of your Mr. West, you should take it.