previously diagnosed medical condition

< Previous | Next >

Trini_lingual

English- Trinidad and Tobago
How would a doctor ask the question, "Do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?"

My attempt: "Se le diagnosticó (a Ud.) anteriormente con alguna enfermedad?"

• xpell

Spanish - Spain
    "¿Tiene/padece usted enfermedades diagnosticadas anteriormente?" would be a correct Spanish translation for "Do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?", if sounding like formal writing style. More often, your average doctor talking to your average patient would say something simpler, along the lines of "¿Tiene/padece/sufre usted alguna enfermedad?" (intrinsically implying something relevant and possibly diagnosed, rather than a cold or something like that...)

Last edited:

Trini_lingual

English- Trinidad and Tobago
    "¿Tiene/padece usted enfermedades diagnosticadas anteriormente?" would be a correct Spanish translation for "Do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?", if sounding like formal writing style. More often, your average doctor talking to your average patient would say something simpler, along the lines of "¿Tiene/padece/sufre usted alguna enfermedad?" (intrinsically implying something relevant and possibly diagnosed, rather than a cold or something like that...)
    I noticed you edited your answer and removed one of your suggestions, but I wonder if there is a situation where it might have been useful. For example, if you have a patient who is coming from another hospital, who had been seeing other doctors, couldn't something like this be used: "Le han diagnosticado con alguna enfermedad?"? Here you want to ask them if the other doctors have diagnosed the patient with something. I think that by using the verb diagnosticar instead of tener, it places emphasis on the subject of the sentence (the implied other doctors).

What do you think?

Also, was my first attempt above ("Se le diagnosticó (a Ud.) anteriormente con alguna enfermedad?") grammatically incorrect? I know that it might not be how it is said, but is it technically possible?

< Previous | Next >