primissimo piano

Audrey_Cheerful

Italian
Hi everyone!
I need to translate "primissimo piano" referring to the framings used in cinema.
If "primo piano" is "in the foreground", "primissimo piano" is ?
Thank you! :)

• Audrey_Cheerful

Italian
    But "close-up shot" can be used also for the film framings? Because I thought it could be used only in photography. Moreover, I think it means "primo piano", and I need to know how to translate "primissimo piano", which is different.

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    But "close-up shot" can be used also for the film framings? Because I thought it could be used only in photography. Moreover, I think it means "primo piano", and I need to know how to translate "primissimo piano", which is different.

No, a close-up is also used in cinematography.

Audrey_Cheerful

Italian
    Ah ok.
    Looking on the net I've found that the translation can be BCU (big close-up) or VCU (very close-up). Can anyone tell me which is the most appropriate or exact?
    Thank you.

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    I think that you can choose the right term from this paragraph taken from the Amc site on Cinematic Terms:

Close-up: a shot taken from a close distance in which the scale of the object is magnified, appears relatively large and fills the entire frame to focus attention and emphasize its importance; i.e., a person's head from the shoulders or neck up is a commonly-filmed close-up; a tight shot makes the subject fill almost the entire frame; also extreme close-up (ECU or XCU) is a shot of a part of a character (e.g., face, head, hands) to emphasize detail; also known as detail shot or close on; contrast to long-shot (LS)