primitive

< Previous | Next >

sus4

Japan - Japanese
Hello,

Would you use the word primitive as in the sentence below?

"My Spanish is primitive."

Should I use words like "limited" instead?

Thank you.

• mrbilal87

English (NAmE)
    Hi,

I would use "limited". Primitive is used more to describe the simplicity of something due to its originality; something that is little evolved.

Cheers!

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    It feels like it is near-impossible for Nintendo to make a bad traditional Mario platformer. Even though Super Mario Land for the original Game Boy looks extremely primitive, it is still one of the best in the series.

Source: Super Mario Land (Video Game Review)
    This is taken from a game review.
    Which one does "primitive" refer to, the gameplay or the graphics? To me, it seems to refer to both of them.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    The important word is 'looks'. It refers to the appearance and therefore the graphics.
    Thanks for your help, Biffo, but do you use "primitive" to describe a game's mechanic, gameplay or something like that, other than its graphics? For example:

The game requires floppy disks to play and doesn't have mouse support, which is primitive by modern standards,

hairlover45

English - American
    In this case, "primitive" means "outdated," using obsolete technology, like a rotary-dial telephone, an 8-track tape player, vacuum tube electronics, and the like.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks, hairlover45~~~ I think of another example: A forum that has no PM system, no search function, no smiley option etc can be called a primitive forum. :)

Myridon

English - US
    I agree. I also miss having access to HTML here, so I could embed links. If it's available, it's well hidden.
    It's the icon of the globe with a chain link that says "Link" if you mouse over it. Some might consider having to type HTML for themselves rather primitive. :)

< Previous | Next >