principal's daughters

< Previous | Next >

GR-Quartz

Japanese
This is from Tina Turner's interview.

I always wanted a home, and I'm reliving something I wanted when I was a child. The principal's daughters had homes, and now I have a home. I've made that dream a reality.

What does this "principal" mean in this context?

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Probably the principal of her school (head teacher in the UK). I don't know whether the principal was mentioned previously or whether she uses the principal (and by extension his or her daughters) as a model of the respectability to which she aspired.

GR-Quartz

Japanese
    Thank you for your reply,Matching Mole.
    No, she never mentioned about a principal before this, that's why I am confused:confused:

Matching Mole

England, English
    I thought it was possible that she hadn't mentioned the principal before. When speaking of childhood or school days the principal would be a well-known or standard figure or respectability, I think, and wouldn't necessarily need any special introduction.

sdgraham

USA English
    A principal in the U.S. is the administrator of a school. Normally, principals must posess teaching certificates as well as administrative certificates. They normally earn more than the rest of the teaching staff, often because they work more days.

In a very, very small school, he/she might teach a class as well.

Obviously, Tina did not feel compelled to mention the principal's name.

< Previous | Next >